copy of week offline

BWolf

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi all,
I would like some advice, i have vmware vcenter protect by Tsm server, the scenario are:

tsm ve copy on Nas (forever incremental) and from nas to tape by protectstgpool
Now i need move on tape the last week backup ( and move on other site) or other similiar situation.

If i start on other complete backup (on tape) of all vm it would take too long.

you have suggestions???
thanks

Hi trident, thanks for reply but i not understand how use retention use in this scope!
I use a protect stgpool, that is not a incremental copy but a mirror copy!
I cannot move all stgpool (protectstgpool) in other site for a offline copy.
my are not problem of retention but problem to move another copy offline.

I use a protect stgpool, that is not a incremental copy but a mirror copy!
protect stgpool is incremental, each time you run it, it copies new extents added since the last protect. But all the tapes together is an entire copy.

I cannot move all stgpool (protectstgpool) in other site for a offline copy.
Why not? That's the whole point of having it on tape. Each day you send the new tapes offsite the same as you would have for a tradictional copy pool using backup stgpool.

The copy you created with protect stgpool is a mirror copy. The mirror is refreshed incrementally daily.

If you need 2 copies on tape, then you can do the following:
- protect to tape (you do this already)
- Copy data from container storage pools to tape for disaster recovery

The former is in dedup form and is used to repair the container pool should there be corruption or it's completely destroyed. This repair process can take a long time.

The latter is a new feature introduced at 8.1.11 and is a hydrated copy of the data. That copy cannot be used to repair the storage pool, but it can be used for clients to restore data. For example, during a DR, you could bring your DB backup tape(s) and the copy container pool tapes. Restore the DB, checkin the copy container pool tapes in the library, and start client restores from tape. It's similar to a backup stgpool, but it's invoked by a storage rule, more info in the link I provided.

Both contain all the objects that is in the primary pool, so it's an entire copy, but it's maintained incrementally, not built each time.

Now i need move on tape the last week backup ( and move on other site) or other similiar situation.
my are not problem of retention but problem to move another copy offline.
Retention sets would do this. What a retention set is is that you create a rule that would run weekly in your case. It would take all the active data for a node or nodes and adds it to the retention set. Once in the retention set, that's managed as an entity. That entity can now be sent to tape. You also have the option to retain those weekly copies longer than your traditional retention if you want. As an example, you could keep all the daily backups for 2 weeks, but keep the weekly (from the retentions set) for a month.

thanks Marclant, now I read the links you sent me a bit and see what is best to do!

About :
Why not? That's the whole point of having it on tape. Each day you send the new tapes offsite the same as you would have for a tradictional copy pool using backup stgpool.

I thought if you remove the tapes, the tsm not find data and restart copy of entire stgpool!
In this case I would have to re-enter all the tapes from time to time to make the reclamation,it's correct??

and in disaster recovery scenario i put tapes on library and i restore the stgpool then i restore virtual machine?

I thought if you remove the tapes, the tsm not find data and restart copy of entire stgpool!
No, just new extents since the last protect.
In this case I would have to re-enter all the tapes from time to time to make the reclamation,it's correct??
Not all the tapes. If you use DRM, that will be managed for you. If you don't use DRM, you follow this:

and in disaster recovery scenario i put tapes on library and i restore the stgpool then i restore virtual machine?
Correct, repair the storage pool first, once repaired, you can start client restores.

There's more info here, under each topic on this page:

Thank you very much ... I will see some links and in case I still disturb you
:)

Back