Copy group question?

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Can you have multiple copy groups that all have the same policy_domain, policy_set_name and management_class *IF* only one of them is active?

Or is it instead the case that at least one of the three in the triplet has to be unique regardless of whether the copy group is active.

I think the thing that's never been intuitive to me is that they're all named STANDARD. It seems it would have made more sense to just assign unique names to them like anything else. I'm missing something very elementary here, I'm afraid.

PREDATAR Control23

Can someone help me here to better understand how a node determines which copy group to use?

Situation A: 'DIRMC mgmtclass' is used in dsm.sys to force directories to bind to a specific management class, and 'include * mgtmtclass' is used to force files.

Situation B: No options are specified in dsm.sys to force or override any binding. All use default management class.

PREDATAR Control23

If I'm not wrong include * mgmtclass only applies to files, if dirmc is not specified then folders are automatically assigned to mgmtclass with longest retention. If no options are specified in dsm.sys then for files it uses default mgmtclass in your domain, one that you specified using assigndefmgmtclass and for folders the mgmtclass with longest retention

PREDATAR Control23

Copy groups are tied to management classes and each management class can only have 2 copy groups, one for archive and one for backup. If you need more copy groups you need to create more management classes.

Under one domain you can have multiple policy sets but always only one can be active. In usual operations I never needed more than one set per domain. If I need logical split I just create new domain

PREDATAR Control23

I merged your 2 threads, it's the same topic.

PREDATAR Control23

So, it's 2 different things for files and directories:

Directories:
It uses the value used by DIRMC, if not specified, it uses the retention with the longest retention in the domain the node belongs to. If there's 2 management classes with the same longest retention, it takes the LAST one when listed alphabetically. More info: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/determine-what-management-class-directory-will-be-bound

Files:
It uses the default management class for the domain the client belongs to, unless there's an INCLUDE statement that specifies another management class. From the client, use dsmc query mgmtclass to see what the default is.

PREDATAR Control23

Can you have multiple copy groups that all have the same policy_domain, policy_set_name and management_class *IF* only one of them is active?
A domain can have 1 policy set
A policy set can have multiple management classes.
A management class has up to 3 copy groups, one for BACKUPS, ARCHIVES and SPACEMANAGED (HSM). You don't need all 3 unless you are storing all those data types.

The concept of ACTIVE is that you do your changes on the STANDARD management class, and when you are satisfied with your changes, you activate that management class. Only the ACTIVE are active as the name implies.

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the replies, all. That was very helpful. đź‘Ť