Copy Backupset Volume(s)??

martymcbackup

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello fellow TSMers!

We have been and are using TSM Backupsets as simple and portable (out of library) 'Archive' for some of our Filespaces.
Now our internal data-owners (and of course myself) require tape redundancy for these backupsets (made at earliest 3 years ago). As one of these tapes went corrupt.

Is there the possibility to 'copy' the backupset volumes (maybe with some hidden commands in tsm or some 3rd party software) or have i go the 'restore backupset' to temporary space, then backup/archive then 'generate backupset' way. Additional hint, that the backupsets are on LTO4 Media (no file device class).

thank you for your help and hints

yours

Marty

Hi
I have this same requirement. Did you ever get an answer to this?
Thanks
Flora

Hello Flora!

the only possibility is to create the Backupset twice (at creation time). That does of course not help for Backupsets already stored in your TSM.

Other methods are not possible with TSM internal commands. Of course a copy action could be done with devclass FILE - and only outside of TSM (copy the resulting volume files with Operating System commands without the ability for the TSM Database to know about this).

Maybe a possibility is to find a Program/Utility used OUTSIDE TSM to copy a Tape from one to another - but - even if this works - your TSM Server have no idea that the Data is on another Media in case of TAPE Errors. You've to track this manuall. And - the Source and Destination Drives are (at least for the copy time) not available to your TSM Server . They have to be unzoned/offlined or your TSM Server must go down.

Back