Convert Pools to MTree

BrianV

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Has anyone recently converted VTL pools into MTree's? I am curious how this migration was and what kind of configurations were made in TSM to switch over from a VTL to MTree's. I'm assuming I just need to create new FILE devclasses and create some new storage pools.

I inherited this environment where we currently write to a DD890 configured as a VTL and then back up the primary stgpool to physical tape which is then sent offsite.

I am about to implement bi-directional replication between a DD890 and a DD880 but before doing so, I was wondering if converting to MTree's would make life easier... I'm guessing it will. :)

Thoughts?

If you are asking if there is a way to move VTL to MTree, I believe there isn't.

You have to create the devclass=file and move the data from the VTL storage pool to the new storage pool with devclass=fle

In 5.2 they introduced a new feature to convert a pool to an "MTree Pool." I'm guessing that this feature still acts like a tape library but changes the back-end structure of the pool.

I think it would make more sense for me to create the new FILE devclass, backup the nodes to the new devclass, and slowly let the other data expire.

Back