Controlfile backup to different management class

mathiasbx

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

is it possible to backup the oracle database and the controlfile in different management classes?

greetings

Mathias

The problem is, TSM backup the database with one session and open a new session to backup the controlfile. And in this moment they lost the drive reservation. Than starts another db backup at this moment and used the drive. The backup of the controlfile wait for a free drive get an timeout after some time.

My idea is to backup the database files to tape and the controlfile to disk.

Are you not backing up to disk and then migrating to tape?

If you are backing up to tape directly, try increasing the maxnummp value and see if the behavior differs.

I would do the first option: backup to disk, then migrate to tape if I don't have lots of tape drives.

@moon-buddy: No. We have a lot of databases with more than 1 TB space. Here is the best way for us to save the big databases directly to tape. But we have a lot of backups and in the night no free tape ressources. If a tape ressource becomes free, the next backup in the queue starts.

And my consideration is, to backup only the control file to disk and the tape ressource problem will be solved.

@moon-buddy: No. We have a lot of databases with more than 1 TB space. Here is the best way for us to save the big databases directly to tape. But we have a lot of backups and in the night no free tape ressources. If a tape ressource becomes free, the next backup in the queue starts.

And my consideration is, to backup only the control file to disk and the tape ressource problem will be solved.

Your original post was for two different management classes and not a different storage pool.

I believe that you cannot do this for Oracle backups (I hope I am wrong, but I don't see a way). It is either you increase the number of tape drives or stage the backup to disk pool first before moving to tape.

Back