Container volume pools name on replication side

dschulz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
We use 2 Spectrum Protect server with version 7.1.7 on two different locations. Both have active backup nodes. On each side are the same policy Domains, same copy Groups and same storage pools with same name defined.

for example location A
policy domain PD_Linux with stg pool FILE_LINUX backup to Data Domain 1,
policy domain PD_WIN with stg pool FILE_WIN backup to Data Domain 1

for example location B
policy domain PD_Linux with stg pool FILE_LINUX backup to Data Domain 2,
policy domain PD_WIN with stg pool FILE_WIN backup to Data Domain 2

Currently we are using node replication, and therefore FILE_Pools on replication source and replication target can exist with the same name.

I want to change from FILE-storage pools to new Container pools. I break my head by defining the name of the Container and storage location. Do needing container pools on replication target a different name because of "PROTect STGPool" and ACTIVE Backups into the same container pool on opposite side?

CONTAINER_LINUX on Data Domain 1 - protect stg to - CONTAINER_LINUX on Data Domain 2
CONTAINER_LINUX on Data Domain 2 - protect stg to - CONTAINER_LINUX on Data Domain 1

Or is the data overwritten by using "protect Container pools" and this is reqired?:
CONTAINER_LINUX on Data Domain 1 - protect stg to - CONTAINER_LINUX_REPL on Data Domain 2
CONTAINER_LINUX on Data Domain 2 - protect stg to - CONTAINER_LINUX_REPL on Data Domain 1

This is the answer for the PMR I have opened:

"There is nothing preventing you from using a container storage pool both for clients and protection of a remote pool.

Protect operation does not delete data that is not owned by it. Think of it more like a normal client backup rather than synchronization.
There is a little bit of explanation how it works here (saying protected and replicated data coexist):
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21978041

I must warn you before you go ahead with your conversion plan to subscribe and wait for a version of server that solves this problem:
IT20729: ENVIRONMENTS CONFIGURED FOR CROSS-PROTECT WITH BOTH SERVERS RUNNING PROTECT STGPOOL CAUSES ORPHANED EXTENTS"

https://www-304.ibm.com/support/ent...0000=1500546284&cm_mc_sid_52640000=1500546284

This documentation says that the patch is available with version 7.1.8 and 8.1.2

Back