1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Commvault - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'CommVault' started by mikeymac, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mikeymac

mikeymac Moderator

It looks like my company might be looking at Commvault in the near future. Our engineering team released the recent Gartner Magic Quadrant showing Commvault as the best enterprise backup solution (EMC, IBM and Symantec were close behind). In my case, I'm actually excited about the prospect of becoming an expert on another technology.

Has anyone here used both Commvault and TSM? How do they compare? Any pit-falls or gotchas with Commvault? Is the pricing more reasonable than TSM over the long-term?

I'm hoping to gain some valuable insight from the council.

3. Stephan

Stephan Senior Member

Storage / System Administrator (UNIX)
    Hey Mikeymac.

Don't know if you've had answers to your questions from somewhere else, but i'd be interested in your thoughts on Commvault. We are looking into a possible replacement as well and have been looking (with meetings/presentations) at different vendors including EMC, Symantec, Commvault, Quantum, Falconstor and Zmanda. Of the bunch, i must say Commvault looks pretty darn good overall. Zmanda is also interesting where it can't be beat as far as pricing goes but it is what it is. A simple, basic good enough solution that may fit into our DVP environments if needed...

Anyway, if you've learned anything on Commvault, i sure would love your thoughts.

Thanks.

4. mikeymac

mikeymac Moderator

Hi Stephan! Nope, we haven't proceeded with our investigation of CommVault. We're in deep with TSM, so a move to another application is seeming increasingly unlikely.