Clustered Spectrum P. with library sharing

okriss

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

I d like to ask some help about Spectrum Protect cluster.

I should make some changes on a Spectrum Protect(SP) environment.
First of all i have to bulid a clustered SP 8.1x environment, but i need one more SP with version 7.1.3 because of old oracle environment.
My first think is, i will run the 7.1.3 on vmware, it will handle only few node, so the performance will be enough.
My question is, can i set library sharing for the 7.1.3 on the clustered 8.1.x?
I did not find any suggestion..

Thank you!!!

PREDATAR Control23

No because there's no support for tape devices in a VM.
Source: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21239546

However, a 7.1 library client is supported with a 8.1 library manager.
Source: https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21302789

Thank you for the answer!
....bad news! :)
I have only 2 physical machine....I have to find solution for it.

Can i send the backed up data thorugh the LAN to the TSM servers which are connected to the library and storage?
Thus i can step over the problem.

PREDATAR Control23

Of course.

Sorry, i was not clear....
I want to send those data which were backed up by the virtualized SpecProt 7.1.3.
So... I will backup the needed nodes with the 7.1.3 and these data would be sent through on LAN to the 8.1.x cluster which are connected to the library and storage.

Client-->LAN-->SP 7.1.3.-->LAN--SP 8.1.x cluster-->FC--Library/diskpool.
Something like this...
Sorry if i too uncomprehending!

PREDATAR Control23

So... I will backup the needed nodes with the 7.1.3 and these data would be sent through on LAN to the 8.1.x cluster which are connected to the library and storage.
Oh, no that won't work. But you can do:
Client-->LAN-->SP 8.1.x cluster-->FC--Library/diskpool.

There's no real benefit to keep the 7.1 server around unless the 8.1 servers are too small to handle all the workload.

PREDATAR Control23

Oh, no that won't work. But you can do:
Client-->LAN-->SP 8.1.x cluster-->FC--Library/diskpool.

There's no real benefit to keep the 7.1 server around unless the 8.1 servers are too small to handle all the workload.

I have to keep 7.1, because there are 10-15 client (oracle+linux+win) wich are on that client level, which is not supported by 8.1.x. and these client cannot handle the higher version of Baclient version....We should lift the version of oracle, linux os and windows, but it is not achievable, because there are few applications, which can run only on the actual OS.

I have to build a SP environment, which can serve everything!

I have to find a solution...

My second thought was an ISCSI connection between a storage(which will hold the STGPOOLs) and the SP 7.1.3 and it can run independently.

PREDATAR Control23

Yes, i found it...
But only the 7.1 client is supported and we have AIX 5.3 which has oracle 10.x (i think)...It cannot bear the 7.1 client...i should lift the AIX version to 6.1 to install the 7.1 baclient and TDP for Oracle and there are few node which are in the same situation.
win 2003 sta, ubuntu 11.4, suse ent 10, debian 5.0.7... baclient 6.3 is EOS.
I dont have too many choice! :(

PREDATAR Control23

6.3 client is not supported because EOS, not because it's not compatible with the 8.1 server, See the table I posted above. The client 6.3 is compatible with 8.1 servers.

So your 6.3 clients could backup to 8.1 servers, don't need a 7.1 server. And the 6.3 client while compatible, will still be not supported.

Also, in the majority of cases, really old clients still work with newer servers, they however never listed as compatible because only versions that co-exist are tested. So when server 8.1 came out, the 6.3 client was still supported, so it got tested. So if you have really old versions, you'll have to do your own testing.

PREDATAR Control23

6.3 client is not supported because EOS, not because it's not compatible with the 8.1 server, See the table I posted above. The client 6.3 is supported with 8.1 servers.

So your 6.3 clients could backup to 8.1 servers, don't need a 7.1 server. And the 6.3 client while compatible, will still be not supported.

Yes, you are right!

I meant this:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21998572

If i can understand it well...below 7.1, every version is EOS.

I am not sure that our oracle will work with 8.1.x
eg:

AIX 5.3 with bac: 5.5.0.6 + TDPO 5.5.1 ..... It is the one of the most important db what i have to backup and it always have to have log and full backup. There is no place for any mistake! :s It works with 7.1 well.

I dont know exactly what would be the best solution...

PREDATAR Control23

I ran into this issue before, the older clients with TDPO for Oracle 10 didn't work once our TSM server was upgraded past a certain point. I think I may have posted something here on the forums about that. Might not have. Our solution was to have the Oracle backups go to flat file on disk, and then use the client to back up that flat file. It's been a while so I'm not sure if I can find all the details on it.

PREDATAR Control23

I ran into this issue before, the older clients with TDPO for Oracle 10 didn't work once our TSM server was upgraded past a certain point. I think I may have posted something here on the forums about that. Might not have. Our solution was to have the Oracle backups go to flat file on disk, and then use the client to back up that flat file. It's been a while so I'm not sure if I can find all the details on it.

Great! I will search for your posts! Thank you!

We have been thinking on it, but the oracle db is in archivelog mode...we have to take the logs...Maybe the customer is willing to set it to noarchivelog mode and it could solve all of our problem.

PREDATAR Control23

6.3 client is not supported because EOS, not because it's not compatible with the 8.1 server, See the table I posted above. The client 6.3 is compatible with 8.1 servers.

Also, in the majority of cases, really old clients still work with newer servers, they however never listed as compatible because only versions that co-exist are tested. So when server 8.1 came out, the 6.3 client was still supported, so it got tested. So if you have really old versions, you'll have to do your own testing.

Thank you! I have to test every old client, because i dont have other way. Im affraide the tdpo wont work...

PREDATAR Control23

What about defining a SERVER device class on the 7.1 server that uses backup storage on the 8.1 server? Been ages since I used that, but I remember setting that up before for something like this.