• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

cloptset force statement for systemstate backups?

Was wondering if anyone has any insight as to forcing a systemstate to backup from the client options set.
Most of my Windows servers are using a pre-defined clopt from the server and in the local dsm.opt have a few adjustments on a server by server basis. In the past, we weren't doing systemstate... Many of the systems dsm.opt have a statement of "domain ALL-LOCAL -systemstate".

What I was hoping to do is force the systemstate to backup without forcing ALL-LOCAL to backup. As such I have to domain statements at the top of the server side optionset:

Option                        Sequenc-     Use Optio-     Option Value
                              e number         n Set
-------------------------     --------     ----------     ---------------------------------
DOMAIN                               0             No     ALL-LOCAL
DOMAIN                               1            Yes     systemstate
I added sequence 1 the other day, came back and queried the filespaces on a few nodes, and even ran q systemstate from a few clients as well. Nothing.

If it can be helped I really don't want to go about and touch every dsm.opt file on every server!

ADSM.ORG Moderator
The FORCE parameter allows an administrator to specify whether the server forces the client to use an option value. This parameter has no affect on additive options such as INCLEXCL and DOMAIN. The default value is NO. If FORCE=YES, the server forces the client to use the value, and the client cannot override the value. The following example shows how you can prevent a client from using subfile backup:
source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowled....ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_mgclinod_addcliopset.html

The only way I can see you could do it would be to have 2 backup schedules, one for file backups and one to backup systemstate. The domain option is only used when doing an incremental backup with no objects specified. So you could have a separate schedule that has "action=backup subaction=systemstate".

The alternative is to manually edit every option file to remove/edit the domain option. If you have a software management system such as IBM BigFix or similar, you could use that to remotely edit the option files as well.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 3 11.5%

Forum statistics

Latest member