Client-side dedup of Exchange 2007 client

bedac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cowi.com
We have a couple of Exchange 2007 nodes that are going to live somewhat longer than we anticipated (sigh).
The nodes are in WAN-connected branch offices and were usually backed up to local tape libraries with TDP for Mail, bot those libraries were decommissioned when the offices' servers recently were virtualized.

So we are looking into client-side deduplication using TDP (storage groups are only 60 to 80 GB) - but I haven't been able to make it work. DEDUPLICATION YES is set in the all DSM.OPT files and Deduplication has been set to ClientOrServer for both Exchange node and proxynode) but no luck.

So does anyone have the recipe for enabling dedup for a Exchange TDP or can anyone explain why it is not working?

TSM client 7.1.1.0, TDP v6.4.0.1

- Bent

Where you specify these options depends on the backup method that you are using:

- For Legacy backups, specify the deduplication option in theData Protection for Microsoft Exchange options file.

- For VSS Backups, specify the deduplication option in the backup-archive client options file that is used as the Local DSMAGENT Node. If the environment is configured for VSS offloaded backups, you must also specify the deduplication option in the backup-archive client options file that is used as the Remote DSMAGENT Node.

Good Luck,
Sias

Hi Sias,

yes, exactly as it says in the IBM KC for Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager 3.1.0. I just cannot make it dedup the Exchange databases.

TDP 6.4 comes with FlashCopy Manager 3.2, btw. I have not found any mentioning of deduplication in the KC except for in "Frequent Asked Questions" for Tivoli Storage FlashCopy Manager 3.1.0.

Back