1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Client password issue

Discussion in 'TSM Client' started by gernthefish, Nov 9, 2012.

1. gernthefish

gernthefish New Member

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched through many threads, but was unable to find anything that specifically addressed this problem.

We have several nodes that have Oracle and backup to TSM using RMAN. The scripts the DBAs are using run as 'oracle'. All our clients use "passwordaccess=generate". occassionally, usually in the middle of a backup, the script will no longer be able to log into the client and the node will become locked. I'm fairly sure this happens when the passexp period is reached (30 days).

We were thinking maybe this happens because the TSM.PWD files aren't writable by 'oracle'. Are we on the right track? If so, is there a way to allow 'oracle' to do this? We tried changed permissions on the file, but it still seems to fail.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    I use passexp=0 so make sure that passwords never expires.

4. gernthefish

gernthefish New Member

I agree that would be much simpler, but we prefer have passwords expire regularly. It keeps the auditor off our backs.

5. chad_small

chad_small Moderator

AIX/SAN/TSM
    I would create a script to reset the TDP's password....to the exact same password as already in use. Remember TSM does not track previously used passwords so you can reuse the same password and appear to be compliant to auditors! Have the password reset script run every 28 days.