Client password issue

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed before. I searched through many threads, but was unable to find anything that specifically addressed this problem.

We have several nodes that have Oracle and backup to TSM using RMAN. The scripts the DBAs are using run as 'oracle'. All our clients use "passwordaccess=generate". occassionally, usually in the middle of a backup, the script will no longer be able to log into the client and the node will become locked. I'm fairly sure this happens when the passexp period is reached (30 days).

We were thinking maybe this happens because the TSM.PWD files aren't writable by 'oracle'. Are we on the right track? If so, is there a way to allow 'oracle' to do this? We tried changed permissions on the file, but it still seems to fail.

Last edited:
I agree that would be much simpler, but we prefer have passwords expire regularly. It keeps the auditor off our backs.

I would create a script to reset the TDP's password....to the exact same password as already in use. Remember TSM does not track previously used passwords so you can reuse the same password and appear to be compliant to auditors! Have the password reset script run every 28 days.

Back