Client Owner Admin

Mita201

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have been working with TSM/ISP since 2004, but I must admit I have never really understood why we have client node registered and an admin with same name/pass, and client owner authority also registered. Actually, it was default up to some version of TSM, when you register node, you also, by default, register an admin with same name/password, and client owner authority, for that node. At some point, it has been changed, and no additional admin is registered by default, only if specified (or added later).
It makes a lot of confusion, especially when passwords expires.I am not sure why we need that admin at all, but apparently for some operations it is necessary. Eg, as I remember TDP for Exchange will not work if there are no client owner admin registered with client node. Also, I just learned yesterday that regular BA client is unable to delete its own archives if there is no client owner admin available with same name, nevermind that node has right to delete its own archives.
Can someone elaborate a bit why and when we need client owner admin alongside with node itself?

PREDATAR Control23

lso, I just learned yesterday that regular BA client is unable to delete its own archives if there is no client owner admin available with same name, nevermind that node has right to delete its own archives.
That's not the case, I just tested and an owner is not necessary to delete backup or archive, but as you noted, the node does need permission to delete though.

Can someone elaborate a bit why and when we need client owner admin alongside with node itself?
The Webclient was using the admin ID to login, but is now deprecated. Unless otherwise required by special circumstances like a Data Protection agent, an admin ID is not required.

There may be other historical reasons why it was needed 20 years ago, but it's certainly not needed today in the majority of cases.

PREDATAR Control23

Wasn't the client owner admin also used to access node backups from a different node via the client GUI.. i.e Grant Node Access.

But yeah, in the latest versions of ISP there is no longer a client admin user associated to each node like back in the day.

PREDATAR Control23

That's not the case, I just tested and an owner is not necessary to delete backup or archive, but as you noted, the node does need permission to delete though.

The Webclient was using the admin ID to login, but is now deprecated. Unless otherwise required by special circumstances like a Data Protection agent, an admin ID is not required.

There may be other historical reasons why it was needed 20 years ago, but it's certainly not needed today in the majority of cases.
Well, that is what I have received from one of my clients, must be some special case:
1536851492021.png

PREDATAR Control23

Well, that is what I have received from one of my clients, must be some special case:
When it refers to user ID, it can be a node or administrator. If you enter the nodename, it will use that, but if you enter an administrator ID, it will need to have client authority.

When you start the GUI, the user ID by default is a nodename, if you put in a different ID, it has to be an administrator. For example, my administrator ID to manage the server is my first name. The nodename from my laptop is my lastname. Because my administrator ID has system access, I can login to to the client on my laptop with the nodename or my administrator name.

Was the user ID you used a node or an administrator?
q node {user id}
q admin {user id} f=d

PREDATAR Control23

It was the same name, of node and admin, passwordaccess generate, so no prompt at all.
I do not really know what client did, but I have found node, and an admin with same name/password, but that admin hasn't had any authority granted. Once I gave client owner authority over that node to the admin, things started working.
I was not able to recreate the issue, so, I do not know for sure what exact steps led to this behavior.