Client options sets affect TDP ?

Phil_02GT

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

A client of our has all of its SQL, DB2 and Oracle backup it's data under the OS node.
As an example, instead of having Server1 and Server1_SQL they backup everything under node Server1.

Does anyone know if client options sets also affect TDP or just the regular TSM client ?
I want to exclude all .mdf and .ldf from the regular TSM client but I don't want the SQL backups to fail because of that.

Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

Hi

it is only for the ba-client and not for the tdp for sql. if you exclude the file in the dsm.opt in the tdpsql folder then you may see the effects

PREDATAR Control23

Client optionsets do affect tdp backups. Definitely for DB2 and SQL server at least, but I safely assume the others too.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi BBB,

I have a query. As if the ba-client exclude will affect the SQL backup's then why we use different dsm.opt. we can do in a single path right. As the path and API differs i believe the changes wont affect the SQL. If it will affect can you please explain me in details.

Regards
Shankar

PREDATAR Control23

Hi BBB,

I have a query. As if the ba-client exclude will affect the SQL backup's then why we use different dsm.opt. we can do in a single path right. As the path and API differs i believe the changes wont affect the SQL. If it will affect can you please explain me in details.

Regards
Shankar

The question was if include/excludes in optionsets can affect TDPs and the answer is definitely yes.

Includes/excludes in dsm.opt files are obviously different, so as you say, an option in the normal node's dsm.opt will not affect a TDP's backups which use a different dsm.opt.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi BBB,

So whether the answer i gave is correct r not. if he is excluding the mdf files in dsm.opt in ba-client folder will not affect the sql backup as it uses different dsm.opt.

regards
Shankar

PREDATAR Control23

Hi BBB,

So whether the answer i gave is correct r not. if he is excluding the mdf files in dsm.opt in ba-client folder will not affect the sql backup as it uses different dsm.opt.

regards
Shankar

I'm not sure what your point is?

Phil asked if optionsets affected TDP clients and the answer is "yes".

You provided an answer ("no") to a different question (dsm.opt files) and that will only confuse people. So yes you are right, but your answer was incorrect for Phil's question.

PREDATAR Control23

BBB, If I understand, client options sets affect TDP clients. I did look at the redbooks but did not find any info about that.

I did not set force=yes so I guess the TDP dsm.opt has priority over client options set and the files will still be backed up.

I will double check with the DBA and make sure everything is working properly.

Thanks

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

BBB, If I understand, client options sets affect TDP clients. I did look at the redbooks but did not find any info about that.
correct

I did not set force=yes so I guess the TDP dsm.opt has priority over client options set and the files will still be backed up.
force=yes/no is ignored for DOMAIN and INCLEXCL client options. What appears in dsm.opt is added to what is in client optionset.