Client Option Set: Exclude System State Globally

paschumacher

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello,

I have about 1200 TSM clients mostly ranging from 5.5 to 6.1.X. on TSM Server 6.1.4.2. I'd like to begin excluding the system state object, except on the Domain Controllers. (which will have a different optionset) I am running into some trouble and would like to ask your help.

I am trying to exclude the systemstate by using a client option set rather than manually changing all of the dsm.opt file to:

DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL -SYSTEMSTATE

Does anyone know if this can be accomplished using a client option set, or am I just wasting my time with fooling around with changing it from the Client Option Set.

Thank you in advance.

PREDATAR Control23

Setup a test option set and try it on a test client.

def clientopt <option set> domain -systemstate

PREDATAR Control23

def clientopt <option set> domain -systemstate

I tried "def cliento <option set> inclexcl exclude.domain all-local -systemstate" and it didnt work.

mostly i'm just tired of beating my head against the wall and was wondering if anyone else has gotten it to work or knows how to exclude the systemstate backup through a client option set

PREDATAR Control23

you're right. i havent tried that one yet. i thought that everything after an INCLEXCL had to have a ".command" like exclude.dir or exclude.image. i'll give it a shot!

thanks!

PREDATAR Control23

i thought that everything after an INCLEXCL had to have a ".command" like exclude.dir or exclude.image."

For INCLEXCL, it does. But DOMAIN is a different option.

Let us know your test results.

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

Thanks GregE, that did work well for the system state data. I am no longer backing up the system state data on my test servers. I do however, seem to still be capturing the 'system object' and 'asr'. I was under the impression that system state included those objects. I have tried to create the same statement in my client option set that removed the system state:

Option: DOMAIN
Sequence number: 1
Use Option Set Value (FORCE): Yes
Option Value: -systemstate

Sequence number: 2
Option Value: -systemservices

Sequence number: 3
Option Value: -systemobject

Sequence number: 4
Option Value: -asr

I have them all set to force: yes, so I am wondering if I did this correctly to exclude the asr and system object items.

PREDATAR Control23

Windows2000 and XP have SYSTEMOBJECT, not SYSTEMSTATE
Windows2003, VISTA, and 2008 have SYSTEMSTATE, not SYSTEMOBJECT

To exclude systemobject, use "inclexcl exclude.systemobject"
To exclude systemservices, use "inclexcl exclude.systemservice"

I've found no way to exclude ASR. It's part of systemstate and systemobject and I've tried in the past.

PREDATAR Control23

Hi paschumacher
I tried making same cloptset but it there was a error "no file system etc in domain"

Thanks

Nahmad

PREDATAR Control23

Windows2000 and XP have SYSTEMOBJECT, not SYSTEMSTATE
Windows2003, VISTA, and 2008 have SYSTEMSTATE, not SYSTEMOBJECT

To exclude systemobject, use "inclexcl exclude.systemobject"
To exclude systemservices, use "inclexcl exclude.systemservice"

I've found no way to exclude ASR. It's part of systemstate and systemobject and I've tried in the past.

I know, very ancient thread. But just for the record.

TESTFLAG SKIPVSSASR