client option set - definitions HELP

JKC

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if someone can tell me if the below will work for what I am trying to accomplish and if the below option set makes sense. Here is the sample clopt:

Optionset Description Last Update by Managing profile
(administrator)
------------------------- ------------------------- --------------- --------------------
MSW_CLOPT JKC ADMIN

Option Sequence Use Option Value
number Option
Set
Value
(FORCE)
------------------------- -------- ------- ------------------------------------------------------------
DIRMC 0 Yes tier1_dir_mc
INCLEXCL 0 Yes exclude.dir /unix
INCLEXCL 1 Yes exclude.dir /.../core
INCLEXCL 2 Yes exclude.dir /tmp
INCLEXCL 3 Yes exclude.dir /var
INCLEXCL 4 No exclude.dir /home
INCLEXCL 5 No exclude.dir /admin
INCLEXCL 6 No exclude.dir/proc
INCLEXCL 18 No include.dir /usr/local
INCLEXCL 19 Yes include.dir /CM

I would assume that based on above info, the backup will exclude ALL directories but /usr/local and it's subdirectories and /CM and it's subdirectories, is that correct?

The second questions is regarding the "option set value" if set to YES then if has to fillow the sequence # is that correct, but what does it mean when it is set to NO?

Also, will the above option exclude / as well? will will I need an entry at the top for something like /.../

Thank you in advance.

Your current option set will backup everything except the directories excluded by exclude.dir.

INCLUDE.DIR is not a valid option, you have to use INCLUDE /path/.../*.

By default, everything in included unless excluded. Since / is not excluded, it's included. So technically, you don't need to include /usr/local and /CM, because they are automatically included. However, if you decide to exclude /.../*, then you will need to explicitly include those 2 directories.

You can test the include/excludes from the client by doing:
dsmc query inclexcl
dsmc preview backup ... (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...om.ibm.itsm.client.doc/r_cmd_previewbkup.html)

Thanks for the reply so basically, if I want to exclude EVERYTHING but 3 directories and it's subdirectories, then it should be something like this:

DIRMC 0 Yes tier1_dir_mc
INCLEXCL 1 Yes exclude /.../*
INCLEXCL 2 Yes include /opt/*
INCLEXCL 3 Yes include /usr/local/*
INCLEXCL 4 Yes include /CM/*

Would that solve my issues?

Right, except that it will still backup ALL the directories and the and directories in the 3 includes.

So you may want to keep some of the exclude.dir, especially for those with a large directory structure.

Thank you,

Would the exlude.dir come before or after the exlude /.../* entry? or does it not matter?

The order of the "exclude.dir" is not important. Unlike "include" and "exclude", exclude.dir is absolute, not cumulative. So what is excluded by exclude.dir is excluded even if you try to include it after.

Hi, one more quick question, within the exclude.dir can you use a wildcard something like "exclude.dir /conf*" as I have multiple directories that starts with /conf and /logg.

Thanks again.

Hi, I have one final question, I think... :) and it refers to the "Use Option Set Value (FORCE)" column from command "q clopt". If my understanding is correct, if set to yes, then it has to follow the sequence # if not to no, then it perform the task in any order, is this correct?

If so, would it be prudent to set the option to yes for every sequence # or no? I have few option sets that has both yes and no and was wondering why the old admin set it that way.

Tks.

Force jsut means the client can or cannot override the option:
Force
Specifies whether the server forces the client to use the option set value. The value is ignored for additive options, such as INCLEXCL and DOMAIN. The default is NO. This parameter is optional. The values are:
Yes
Specifies that the server forces the client to use the value. (The client cannot override the value.)
No
Specifies that the server does not force the client to use the value. (The client can override the value.)
source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...v.ref.doc/r_cmd_clientopt_define.html?lang=en

So then since I have all the values set to Yes, that would be that it is certain that the server will NOT backup these directories. Is that correct?

It is correct, but not for that reason. The extract I pasted above says force does not work on includes/excludes. It is correct because server include/excludes are evaluated before those from the clients:
The include-exclude statements specified by the server are evaluated along with those in the client options file. The server include-exclude statements are always enforced and placed at the bottom of the include-exclude list and evaluated before the client include-exclude statements.
source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...ibm.itsm.client.doc/c_cfg_ieproc.html?lang=en

One more question. In the client option set, I have DIRMC with sequence # 0 pointing to a particular mgmt class, how do I go about changing the DIRMC to point to a different mgmt class? It seems I am not able to find info on this matter.

Thank you.

Hi, I treid out the new client option set and it seems to not be working correctly or working correctly based on the rules but not what I need.

Here is a sample option set:

INCLEXCL 1 Yes exclude /.../*
INCLEXCL 2 Yes exclude.dir /usr
INCLEXCL 3 Yes exclude.dir /dev
INCLEXCL 4 Yes exclude.dir /var
INCLEXCL 5 Yes exclude.dir /tmp
INCLEXCL 6 Yes exclude.dir /home
INCLEXCL 7 Yes exclude.dir /admin
INCLEXCL 8 Yes exclude.dir /intg
INCLEXCL 9 Yes exclude.dir /msw*
INCLEXCL 10 Yes exclude.dir /oracle*
INCLEXCL 11 Yes exclude.dir /intg*
INCLEXCL 12 Yes exclude.dir /license_server
INCLEXCL 13 Yes exclude.dir /logging*
INCLEXCL 14 Yes exclude.dir /conf*
INCLEXCL 15 Yes include /util
INCLEXCL 16 Yes include /opt
INCLEXCL 17 Yes include /usr/local
INCLEXCL 18 Yes include /CMSynergy-nu

I ran a test dsmc incr and saw the following:

COMSW2A /CMSynergy 1 AIX JFS2 No 153,600.0 55.7
COMSW2A / 2 AIX JFS2 No 400.0 37.0
COMSW2A /opt 7 AIX JFS2 No 1,088.0 78.4
COMSW2A /license_s- 18 AIX JFS2 No 512.0 44.1
erver
COMSW2A /CMSynergy- 23 AIX JFS2 No 180,224.0 87.5
-nu
COMSW2A /intg_rto 27 AIX JFS2 No 10,160.0 14.6
COMSW2A /usr 28 AIX JFS2 No 5,392.0 81.8
COMSW2A /var 29 AIX JFS2 No 752.0 56.4
COMSW2A /home 30 AIX JFS2 No 112.0 95.0
COMSW2A /admin 31 AIX JFS2 No 128.0 0.3
COMSW2A /intg 32 AIX JFS2 No 10,208.0 54.7
COMSW2A /mswlog 33 AIX JFS2 No 2,039.0 42.6
COMSW2A /msw 34 AIX JFS2 No 672.0 51.2
COMSW2A /mswdev 35 AIX JFS2 No 30,656.0 0.0
COMSW2A /oracle 36 AIX JFS2 No 10,112.0 25.4
COMSW2A /intgstx 37 AIX JFS2 No 10,192.0 36.4
COMSW2A /oracle1 38 AIX JFS2 No 5,096.0 6.2
COMSW2A /oracle2 39 AIX JFS2 No 5,096.0 36.9

Can I assume that those directories that was in the exclude.dir is only a directory structure and that no subdir has been backed up?

Another queestion is I do not see the new include /util, is that because the syntex is woring and it should have been "include /util/*" ?

Thank you in advanced.

Can I assume that those directories that was in the exclude.dir is only a directory structure and that no subdir has been backed up?
With exclude.dir, the directory, all-subdirectories and all files are excluded
Another queestion is I do not see the new include /util, is that because the syntex is woring and it should have been "include /util/*" ?
For include, you need /util/.../*

Thanks Marclant,

Do you know why those directories were backed up? even though I specifically put those in the exclude.dir ? As for the includes, I will make the necessary changes and test them.

Thank you.

Back