Checkin volume error and confusion

mosiac

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a few volumes that seemed to have gotten checked in in correctly and I'm trying to find the best way to completely clear them out but I'm running into an issue.

I found some volumes that had been marked as private in my system but my volume history has no information related to what these volumes are for.

They were never assigned to any storage pool and if I try to do a label overwrite on them that fails stating that they are already present in the library.

So here are the outputs to commands I'm seeing:

SERVER1> q libvolume loglib02 A08530L5
Library Name Volume Name Status Owner Last Use Home Element Device Type
LOGLIB02 A08530L5 Private 4,124 LTO

SERVER1> select * from volhistory where volume_name='A08530L5'
ANR2034E SELECT: No match found using this criteria.

So this is where I'm confused. If there is no entry in the volume history for this volume. Why is it saying it's in loglib02 (my physical and logical library) and how do I completely clear any record of this tape so that I can get it checked in properly.

Thanks,

Hi,

The volume is checked in and can be used as it is. You just need to define the volume to a storage pool or use it for a manual DB backup or backupset.

Once used in a STG Pool and then reclaimed, the volume will still report as a private volume but report as empty.

As you most likley do not want to manually manage this volume, then you need to check it out of the library. Once out of TSM, then check it back in as scratch volume:

See this link (as you can see the default is private and not scratch for SCSI libraries)
www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.6/srv.reference/r_cmd_libvolume_checkin.html

Once it they are checked in as scratch, then any process needing this tape will be able to use it.

Best regards

These tapes are mainly used for copypool tapes. Can I manually assign it that stgpool?

These tapes are mainly used for copypool tapes. Can I manually assign it that stgpool?
Is DRM in use?

If yes, what does 'q drm' show? Do you see the tapes listed?

If you do not see the tapes listed and confirmed that the tapes are not in the volume history, then you can use these as scratch.

You generally don't assign empty tapes to the copy pool as the copy pool gets tapes from the scratch pool when it needs it.

Yeah DRM is in use and those tapes aren't a part of that. Thanks for the help. I got them checked in alright now.

You can also change the status to scratch.

Code:
upd libv <library name> <volume name> status=scratch

Seems easier.

Back