Check my PVU maths !

ChrisRees

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi

I need to license 6 Dell Servers which will be TSM Clients, just basic ntfs incremental backup.. no TDP, no storage agents, just the backup/archive client is needed

... the PVU maths as far as I can work out goes something like this...

2 x Dell M905 4 x AMD Quad = 2 x ( 4 x 4 ) = 32 cores x 50 PVUs

4 x Dell M610 2 x Intel Quad (model 5540) = 4 x ( 2 x 4 ) = 32 cores x 70 PVUs

So a grand total of 3840 PVU's.. now the cost of that is going to be very expensive, especially when you consider these are QA/Dev environments.

Can anyone confirm that the right IBM feature code for the licenses will be
TSM Extended Edition D56FELL

I think management will just go with another product that we already use which is far cheaper.

Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

Your Math is ok.

Since it's dev and QA env. I would question the backup of the QA env. If your QA is a copy of your production system. Backuping these system is a waste of time and ressource. If they crash you restore the data from the production. This is what we do on our side. This save alot of "PVU's" and test the restore of our production backups.

my 2 cents!

PREDATAR Control23

This what you can calculate is list price, but if you press your BP or IBM, you can maybe get significant discount.
Also, check if you really need extended edition, standard is half price.

PREDATAR Control23

thanks for the replies..

one question: where can i find documentation around extended edition vs standard edition licenses for such windows clients ? What criteria make a TSM client need an extended edition license..?

Thanks

PREDATAR Control23

From what I recall, Extend edition is for TSM server with more than 4 tapes drives, and if you need DRM it's Only available in the Extended edition

PREDATAR Control23

For the purposes of this I'm only interested in TSM client license criteria.. not things like library sharing and DRM on the TSM server side.

Ta

PREDATAR Control23

Correct me if i'm wrong. But since it's a pool of PVU, They a base on you TSM server configuration not your clients. So if you backup your DEV on a TSM serverr that have more than 4 tape drives, You have a Extended edition License. IF you have a small server with less than 4 tapes drives. You will have the Std licence.

i'M still lokking for the info on the IBM site...

PREDATAR Control23

I agree, it is usually decided on server side rather than on client. You can't mix standard and enterprise at site level - all of them have to be of same kind.
Also, you can't (shouldn't) use TSM DRM functionality without extended edition licensed.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the further info.. interesting and certainly new to me.

In this case, if I backup anything to our TSM server , I will need the extended edition licenses as our tsm server is extended edition. In my original example this is going to be expensive !!

I'm sure at one time I read that it was the way the TSM client server was used that determined whether or not it needed extended edition licenses or not. For example a standalone server providing no services to anyone or any other servers could use a standard tsm license, but servers that provide services such as file and print, database servers and the like , needed extended edition... perhaps that was just some sort of twisted dream :)

Cheers

PREDATAR Control23

What you are talking about is not standard vs extended, but client license against server license.
There is a product, TSM client, that can be licensed for workstations. And this is explanation, what is a workstation - as long as computer does not offer network services it can be considered as workstation, and licensed so.
TSM client license is based on computer, not on PVU. The code is the same, and only license is different

PREDATAR Control23

Ah I see.. so I wasn't completely imagining things.

Alas we don't backup any pure workstations.. all our "TSM Clients" are servers running applications that interface with SAP and DB2.

One day IBM might start again and make all this easier..... then again maybe not !

Thanks