Changing library of an existing device class with data on storage pool

eibbob

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need advice on this -- We have an existing Quantum i6000 Library with 10 x LTO5 and 4 x LTO6 drives. We recently encountered problems with the LTO6 drives and as an interim solution, Quantum guys installed a new i6000 library with 4 x LTO6 drives. Our plan is to move the current LTO6 volumes into the new library, update the library and drive paths. Is this possible? Will TSM still recognise the data in the LTO6 volumes. We have two storage pools using a device class pointing to the LTO6 library.

TIA.

Eibbob

Hello,

Storage Pools are associated with a device class and you can't change this.
If you only have one device class for both media types, the only way if to define a new device class pointing to this new library, defining a new storage pool using it and moving/migrating the data accross storage pools (from one library ro another).

Hi,

Appreciate your insight. This will be very helpful during our activity tomorrow.

Thanks,

Eibbob

Successfully changed the physical library pointing to an existing devclass, here's the procedure:

query devclass
query path
query drive
query library

take note of the library used by the devclass. make sure to use the same names (library, drives, paths). Before the activity, ensure no process and sessions in TSM Server.

delete path - drive
delete drive
delete path - library
delete library
define library
define path - library
define drive
define path drive
checkin libv

And the new library was ready for use

We tested a retrieve/restore, was successful

I hope this helps.