Changing dsm.sys file which is being used by TDP.

pappumobile

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

i am changing " TCPServeraddress" option in my dsm.sys file which is being used by TDP Oracle. i am pointing to same TSM server with different IP address (backup IP).

do i need to run any TDP related commands for TDP to pick this configuration?

i know when we change anything in dsm.sys file for BA client we restart the scheduler to pick these changes but i don't know what do i need to do in TDP to pick these change. does TDP pick these changes when new sessions start?

thanks.

No need to restart as long as the Oracle RMAN script is executing the backup. On the TDP Client end, you need to setup the TDP password using "TDPOCONF PASSWord" and verify the configuration using the tdpoconf showenv -tdpo_optfile=<YourTDPOPTfile>(most likely /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64/tdpo.opt)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hi,

i am changing " TCPServeraddress" option in my dsm.sys file which is being used by TDP Oracle. i am pointing to same TSM server with different IP address (backup IP).

do i need to run any TDP related commands for TDP to pick this configuration?

i know when we change anything in dsm.sys file for BA client we restart the scheduler to pick these changes but i don't know what do i need to do in TDP to pick these change. does TDP pick these changes when new sessions start?

thanks.

Depends - if the TCPServeraddress contains the IP Address instead of the DNS entry, then you have to restart to be 'assured' that the client is seen by the TSM server properly.

It is always a safe practice to do so.

You don't have to do any other steps as client configurations have not changed.

i don't have permissions on rman scripts to start backup/sessions, does 'tdpoconf showenv' command initiates session with TSM Server? if not please let me know the best way to verify the changes which i have done on node side.

i don't have permissions on rman scripts to start backup/sessions, does 'tdpoconf showenv' command initiates session with TSM Server? if not please let me know the best way to verify the changes which i have done on node side.

Nope - does not do any session to the TSM server

You really need to have the scheduler restarted and after that look at the logs to see if the node communicated with the TSM Server.

i believe restarting the scheduler just pick changes which we made for BA client but not for TDP Oracle.
if i don't have access to run rman scripts to initiate sessions with TSM Server, what could be the best way to confirm my changes? does 'tdpoconf password' be useful ?

i believe restarting the scheduler just pick changes which we made for BA client but not for TDP Oracle.
if i don't have access to run rman scripts to initiate sessions with TSM Server, what could be the best way to confirm my changes? does 'tdpoconf password' be useful ?

There is a TDP scheduler which is separate from the BA client :)

Sorry for asking silly questions i am new to TDP, how can i find that scheduler and restart it?

Windows or UNix?

For Windows look for something like TDP for ...

For Unix look for something in the inittab with dsmc on it and has the TDPo_Opt file on it. It is not that easy - rather not straightforward - to restart the TDPO service in Unix. Ask you System Admin.

thanks for being helpful.
A quick question, in our aix environment we are running multiple tdp nodes on a single server and they are point to same dsm.sys file. my question is, if i change dsm.sys file which is being shared between multiple tdp nodes, does these node shoot error?

thanks for being helpful.
A quick question, in our aix environment we are running multiple tdp nodes on a single server and they are point to same dsm.sys file. my question is, if i change dsm.sys file which is being shared between multiple tdp nodes, does these node shoot error?

Generally these all share the same stanza on the dsm.sys. The only difference would be the TDPO_<Oracle_instance>.opt file.

By changing dsm.sys entries, all will have errors unless you cycle the TDP scheduler.

let assume we have three nodes on a physical, two are tdp (tdpA_node & tdpB_node) and one BA client (myBA).

dsm.sys example:
Servername formybanode
tcpServeraddress formybanode.company.com
Nodename mybanode

Servername formytdpA_node
tcpServeraddress mytdp.company.com
nodename tdpA_node

Servername formytdpB_node
nodename tdpB_node

dsm.opt for BA client:

Servername formybanode

lets assume i just need to change 'tcpserveraddress' option for BA client in dsm.sys file. while changing this does it effect other two tdp nodes?

let assume we have three nodes on a physical, two are tdp (tdpA_node & tdpB_node) and one BA client (myBA).

dsm.sys example:
Servername formybanode
tcpServeraddress formybanode.company.com
Nodename mybanode

Servername formytdpA_node
nodename tdpA_node

Servername formytdpB_node
nodename tdpB_node

dsm.opt for BA client:

Servername formybanode

lets assume i just need to change 'tcpserveraddress' option for BA client in dsm.sys file. while changing this does it effect other two tdp nodes?

A mulit-stanza dsm.sys file is self contained - a change in one stanza will not affect the others.

'tdpoconf showenv ' command initiates a session to TSM server and end it right away. just confirmed. just want to clarify your post.
Nope - does not do any session to the TSM server

You really need to have the scheduler restarted and after that look at the logs to see if the node communicated with the TSM Server.

just confirmed, no need to run 'tdpoconf password ' command.
No need to restart as long as the Oracle RMAN script is executing the backup. On the TDP Client end, you need to setup the TDP password using "TDPOCONF PASSWord" and verify the configuration using the tdpoconf showenv -tdpo_optfile=<YourTDPOPTfile>(most likely /usr/tivoli/tsm/client/oracle/bin64/tdpo.opt)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

'tdpoconf showenv ' command initiates a session to TSM server and end it right away. just confirmed. just want to clarify your post.

The session I am referring to is the type that allows for data backup. The session that you saw is a 'query' into the TSM server.

I guess this is a matter of semantics. Then, all things equal, a session is a session and I stand corrected.

Back