Change retention on already backed up file.

Cyclone

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a old offline server that used to record camera video files, it was set up with a 180 retention policy on the files. My boss would like to have these files 'never' expire, and most of these files are already 'inactive' in the filespace.

My system does have a 'nolimit' mgt class that is used for stuff that we want to 'keep forever'.

Is there a way for me to rebind those old inactive video files to the nolimit mgt class to prevent them from being removed from the system? As of now, I'm just planning on restoring these files now, and then backing them up again with the mgt class changed to nolimit on the fresh backup.

But with Months of backups, and everything being on tape, I would rather not take on that load of manual work if there was a way to rebind them or at least prevent them from expiring.

To add on top of that, TSM had in the past 'flaked out' and started to backup up duplicates of the old video files when doing incrementals. So it would sometimes backup up an entire month that had already been backed up weeks before. If I look in the restore, I see two copies of most files with two separate backup dates. So now when I go to select a date to restore, I end up having two copies of the same file selected. ugh.

You can only rebind files that are still active and can still backup. If you restore and backup, you can, but that's a lot of work.

If increasing the retention on the current management class is not an option because of other things using it, there's an alternative.

- Copy the domain that node belongs to a new domain (HELP COPY DOMAIN).
- In the new domain, update the retention on the management class that these files are bound to (HELP UPDATE CO)
- Then update the node to become part of the new domain (HELP UPDATE NODE).

So, from that point forward, when expiration runs, it will look at the retention in the new domain for that node.

That is a great idea Marc. I will try that out.

Thank you.

Back