Change backup DEST

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Ok, this may seem like a silly question, but I hate to make assumptions. Will backup retention be affected if I back up to a different management class that has the same retention settings (but different destination)? I'm assuming the files will be backed up to the new destination and keep their original retention. My fear is that TSM might have to back up all the files again.

If it is just a new destination, TSM will continue as is and reference the old location for future needs as long as you do not delete the old location and let retention do its thing.

In cases like this, I move the files from the OLD to the NEW to keep the files together.

Will backup retention be affected if I back up to a different management class that has the same retention settings (but different destination)? I'm assuming the files will be backed up to the new destination and keep their original retention.
Actually, new backups will be bound to the new management class and old backups will be rebound to the new management class (not rebackup). So both old and new backups will now use the retention of the new management class. Existing backups will remain where they are (unless you manually move them like moon-buddy said). New backups will go to the new destination.

Thanks for the replies. Is this also true if we move the node to a new domain (same retention, but different domain/class/dest)?

We would like to gradually move client nodes to point to a different stg pool dest, a few nodes at a time at our discretion. The problem I'm seeing is that very few of the client nodes specify a mgmt class, so they are using the default class for the domain. Obviously changing DEST for the default class would force all nodes to use the new stg pool immediately. If we create a domain with the new stg pool dest, we could just update a couple hosts/day to the new domain.

Would this force nodes have to rerun full backups? If so, any other suggestions?

Just thought of another question. Will updated nodes still be able to see and restore old data from the old stg pool?

Just thought of another question. Will updated nodes still be able to see and restore old data from the old stg pool?
Yes - but as I have said, move the data so all data will be in one location. I have done this a million times but I make sure I move the data to the the NEW location so things will be kept clean.

Last edited:
Yes, we will move the data eventually. Just want to make sure things work normally before it gets moved. Thanks again!

Back