CBMR SOLARIS...

may

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hello guys,

did someone had some experience with CBMR for Solaris...

i am testing the V2 these days, but not able to restore the server from scratch...

so if someone as someting to share....

thanks in advance

I did succefull testing on linux, I might be able to help you.

what kind of error or what type of issues are you having?

Jordan

hello Jordan,

Mmmmm, sorry to annonce you that there should be a big diffference between the two version....

in fact after some changing in their scripts and documentaion witch is far to be up to date,

we finnally configurated the two clent and server(jumpstart) agent and did the backup wiith succes.

the restore did weel too but failed in the last step...

the Vtocs tables, the partitiong, the data restore all do well but the initilization of the "SVL" (sun volume manager) just failed to recreate the metadevices and mirrors....

PS: it s a Solaris 10 plateform..

any help will be appreciated....

does somebody has some news on it?

we are going to re have a try on that solution...

thanks in advance guys

does somebody has some news on it?

we are going to re have a try on that solution...

thanks in advance guys

Hi,

I too did some testing with cbmr and frankly I came to the conclusion that this software s****. I built a recovery CD, which took some time and a special image from Cristie Support as well. The only scenario in which I succeeded restoring a server without a problem was a very simple setup without svm at all. With SVM: worked halfway, but it forgot the mirrored swap partition. A server with a couple of SAN Storage volumes - boom...

So after a couple of days of futile testing I decided to dump CBMR and to build a boot cdrom with an integrated TSM Client and some scripts to restore Partitioning, SVM and so so. Took some time, might not work for all systems and under all conditions, but works quite well for our servers, and besides, I now have a very cool Rescue CD with bash and ssh(d) :)

Sorry that I cannot really help you on the cbmr issue

Fese

thanks fese,

your solution sound interesting...

thanks again

I don't believe that meta device states can be restored successfully.

Meta device setup creates unique system IDs which cannot be replicated through a backup and restore procedure.

I am looking at CBMR as a DR solution for solaris 8,9 and 10 and since seeing the above comments I'm a little concerned regarding how well it works. I find it surprising that a company hasn't come up with a dependable, easy BMR solution for Solaris with veritas mounted filesystems (including a bootable cd).

I've heard there are issues with Solaris 10 - with its new filesystem ZFS - its zoning etc.. But at the same time there are new options offered by the OS as well.
If it were me - I'd stick with Jumpstart for the moment until all these have been ironed out.

Steve

The latest version of CBMR for Solaris (v2.00) does support CD based recoveries now, but you can only create the bootable CD using the Solaris CD (not DVD) and CBMR. CBMR can still do Jumpstart based recoveries.

Also, as a note, CBMR will not re-attach mirrors after recovery. The idea of the program is to get your bare machine up and running as quickly as possible, for the Solaris admin to start fully restoring the system.

As yet I'm not aware that CBMR support zoning or ZFS. However, it does support Veritas Volume Manager. In the event of a Disaster Recovery, the Veritas SOFTWARE will be recovered, but everything will be restored to RAW disks. Veritas will not need to be reinstalled, but any mirrors etc will need to be reconfigured.

If CBMR attempts to restore the Logical Volume Manager configuration and gets this wrong, then the whole system will not boot. Therefore CBMR will do the minium to get the system up and running as quickly as possible.

Hope you find this helpful,

Briggsey :up:

Back