Can't login to Webclient

blankgap

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Linux Node

When I login to the node and start dsmc, i get the prompt for User-ID and Password. No problem to login as I set the Node password on the server with "update node <password>"
When I want to login to the webgui for file restore, I need my tsm_admin and password, but when trying to login I get "Unable to login (rc = 3028)" and those entries in dsmerror.log:

10/22/2020 13:00:53 ANS1835E PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE, but password needed for server '<SERVERNAME>'.
Either the password is not stored locally, or it was changed at the server.
10/22/2020 13:00:53 Authentication failure

dsm.sys:
COMMMethod TCPip
TCPPort 1500
tcpnodelay yes
TCPWindowsize 512
TCPBuffsize 512
diskbuffsize 512
TCPServeraddress tsm05-backup
managedservices webclient schedule
PASSWORDAccess generate
TCPCLIENTPORT 1501
WEBPorts 1582,1583
NODENAME <nodename>
ERRORLOGName /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmerror.log
ERRORLOGRetention 7 D
SCHEDLOGName /opt/tivoli/tsm/client/ba/bin/dsmsched.log
SCHEDLOGRetention 7 D
DEDUPLICATION no
DIRMc MC_DIRMC
enableinstrumentation no
resourceutilization 10

PREDATAR Control23

Also, when I restart dsmcad, I get the following entries in dsmerror.log:

10/22/2020 12:56:39 ANS0361I DIAG: TCP/IP SO_SNDBUF value 512 specified as TCPWINDOWSIZE is not supported by OS. It is set to the allowed size - 416.
10/22/2020 12:56:39 ANS0361I DIAG: TCP/IP SO_RCVBUF value 512 specified as TCPWINDOWSIZE is not supported by OS. It is set to the allowed size - 416.
10/22/2020 12:56:39 ANS5246W TCPWINDOWSIZE 512 is specified, but exceeds the maximum value allowed by the operating system. TCPWINDOWSIZE 416 will be used instead.
10/22/2020 12:56:39 ANS2050E IBM Spectrum Protect needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt because the process is running in the background.
10/22/2020 12:56:39 ANS1029E Communication with the IBM Spectrum Protect server is lost.
10/22/2020 12:56:39 ANS1977E Dsmcad schedule invocation was unsuccessful. This command will be tried again in 10 minutes.

PREDATAR Control23

For the first issue, connect to the server using dsmc, you will be prompted for the password, it will save it in the password file. You can test if it worked by starting dsmc again. If you are still prompted for a password, it didnt' get saved. Check the dsmerror.log to see if there were issues saving the password. If you are not prompted when starting dsmc, then you can restart dsmcad and it will be able to use it.

Are you on Linux or AIX?
If Linux, set the TCPWindowsize to 0, that will let the OS manage it, Linux does a very good job at self tuning the tcpwindowsize.

If AIX, set it at the default of 63, if you have a high latency network, you may want to increase it in small steps until you find a value that works best. This mainly impacts restores, not backups.

PREDATAR Control23

For the first issue, connect to the server using dsmc, you will be prompted for the password, it will save it in the password file. You can test if it worked by starting dsmc again. If you are still prompted for a password, it didnt' get saved. Check the dsmerror.log to see if there were issues saving the password. If you are not prompted when starting dsmc, then you can restart dsmcad and it will be able to use it.

Thank you for your answer.

Thats the problem, when I connect to the server using dsmc, I get prompted for User-ID (empty) and Password (which I set on the server).
The connection works, I get the Protect> prompt.
Then I exit the session by entering "quit" and immediately issue "dsmc" again, but again I am asked for User-ID and password.

dsmerror.log shows:
10/23/2020 08:46:29 ANS2050E IBM Spectrum Protect needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt because the process is running in the background.
10/23/2020 08:46:29 ANS1029E Communication with the IBM Spectrum Protect server is lost.
10/23/2020 08:46:29 ANS1977E Dsmcad schedule invocation was unsuccessful. This command will be tried again in 10 minutes.

After I set TCPWindowSize to 0 (I'm on Linux), I restarted dsmcad. dsmerror.log shows:
10/23/2020 08:54:19 ANS1835E PASSWORDACCESS is GENERATE, but password needed for server '<TSMSERVER>'.
Either the password is not stored locally, or it was changed at the server.
10/23/2020 08:54:19 ANS1025E Session rejected: Authentication failure

10/23/2020 08:54:19 ANS1570E Registering this instance of the client acceptor with the server failed. The client acceptor process continues.

PREDATAR Control23

Well, the issue is not the web client, it's the password not being stored when you enter it in dsmc, and keep getting prompted when you start dsmc. That has to be addressed before you do anything with the webclient.

Since there were no errors logged in dsmerror.log when you tried to save the password, there's really nothing to go with. You might need to open a case with IBM on that one.

PREDATAR Control23

Thats the problem, when I connect to the server using dsmc, I get prompted for User-ID (empty) and Password (which I set on the server).
The connection works, I get the Protect> prompt.
Then I exit the session by entering "quit" and immediately issue "dsmc" again, but again I am asked for User-ID and password.

I encounter this a few months ago and it drove me nuts.
The issue is due to a corrupt TSM.PWD file.
Delete the TSM.PWD file. Re-encrypt the ID and PWD, this should generate a new TSM.PWD.
If there is a problem with the Client generating a fresh TSM.PWD.
Use the passworddir parameter to have the TSM.PWD in another location.

If we are using Spectrum Protect Client 8.1.2 or later, rename the following files to .OLD:
TSM.KDB , TSM.sth , TSM.IDX

The files will be recreated when we re-encrypt the ID and PWD.
Then delete the .OLD

Good Luck,
Sias

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

I encounter this a few months ago and it drove me nuts.
The issue is due to a corrupt TSM.PWD file.
Delete the TSM.PWD file. Re-encrypt the ID and PWD, this should generate a new TSM.PWD.
If there is a problem with the Client generating a fresh TSM.PWD.
Use the passworddir parameter to have the TSM.PWD in another location.

If we are using Spectrum Protect Client 8.1.2 or later, rename the following files to .OLD:
TSM.KDB , TSM.sth , TSM.IDX
IBM Knowledge Center
The files will be recreated when we re-encrypt the ID and PWD.
Then delete the .OLD

Good Luck,
Sias

YES! Thank you very much!!
I have renamed TSM.KDB, TSM.sth and TSM.IDX and now the password is beeing saved.

Unfortunately, I have another issue: After the system was rebooted yesterday, I now have the following error in dsmerror.log: ANS0361I DIAG: Error starting Remote Client Agent.

On a windows system I would just reinstall the service, but I am not sure how to fix this as I am not experienced with linux.
Any idea?

PREDATAR Control23

What's the version of the server? If you are lower than 7.1.8 or lower than 8.1.2, you can still use the webclient. If not, then you can't. More info:

You can use the web interface instead:

PREDATAR Control23

What's the version of the server? If you are lower than 7.1.8 or lower than 8.1.2, you can still use the webclient. If not, then you can't. More info:

You can use the web interface instead:

You are right, Server is running 8.1.10, but I actually did mean the Web Interface (for file restore).
But when I try to login into the web-interface, i get an error that "the CAD or agentservice cannot be accessed" and ANS0361I DIAG: Error starting Remote Client Agent in dsmerror.log

How can I re-configure the dsmcad-service? I use to do this with dsmcutil on windows, but thats not available on linux.

Thank you

PREDATAR Control23

Screenshot of the error message

Attachments

• Unbenannt1.PNG
    Unbenannt1.PNG
    139.9 KB · Views: 8
PREDATAR Control23

Check the dsmwebcl.log for indications as to why dsmcad couldn't start.

PREDATAR Control23

And on Linux, you just start CAD, there's no configuration other than the option file. Actually, there isn't much configuration on Windows either, the only thing the wizard does is create the service so that it can start automatically in the background.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you for your answer.
I checked the logs immediately after trying to login to the web-interface.
dsmwebcl.log shows only this:
11/03/2020 12:24:03 (dsmcad) ANS3006I Processing request for the IBM Spectrum Protect Web Client (127.0.0.1).
11/03/2020 12:24:03 (dsmagent) IBM Spectrum Protect
11/03/2020 12:24:03 (dsmagent) Remote Client Agent - Built May 29 2020 23:27:04
11/03/2020 12:24:03 (dsmagent) Version 8, Release 1, Level 10.0

While dsmerror.log has this new entries:
11/03/2020 12:24:03 ANS0361I DIAG: Error starting Remote Client Agent.
11/03/2020 12:24:03 ANS0361I DIAG: return code is -1

Would you recommend to re-install the client?

PREDATAR Control23

SOLVED:
First I had to rename TSM.KDB, TSM.sth and TSM.IDX and issue dsmc to create new KDB, IDX and sth files to fix those errors in dsmerror.log:
10/23/2020 08:46:29 ANS2050E IBM Spectrum Protect needs to prompt for the password but cannot prompt because the process is running in the background.
10/23/2020 08:46:29 ANS1029E Communication with the IBM Spectrum Protect server is lost.
10/23/2020 08:46:29 ANS1977E Dsmcad schedule invocation was unsuccessful. This command will be tried again in 10 minute
s

Normally this should do the trick, but additionally I had to re-install the webgui. Now it works fine.

Thank you very much marclant and LED888!

PREDATAR Control23

Check the dsmwebcl.log for indications as to why dsmcad couldn't start.

Check the client and see if the port is listening and that the web client service/demon is running.
Use a Spectrum Protect "admin" user id , like in the old days "admin" - not the client user id.

There is a YouTube out that Trica shows the configuration if need.