1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Can't checkin new tapes

Discussion in 'Tape / Media Library' started by bhrobertson, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bhrobertson

bhrobertson New Member

I have a group of new 3592 L&I (labeled and initialized) tapes that I can't label or checkin to the library.

command: label libv dlib search=yes volran=hd0500,hd0504 checkin=scratch
    result: message says these tapes are already labeled with the same volume name

command: checkin libv dlib search=yes voll=hd0500,hd0501,hd0502,hd0503,hd0504 status=scratch
    result: message says 0 volumes found

If I define these volumes as members of a stgpool then the command "q vol hd050* f=d" shows thes volumes to be empty and NOT scratch tapes. Any attempt to update the status to scratch results in error ANR8443E, "volume...cannot be assigned a status of scratch".

Thanks.

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    Where are the tapes physically when you run the label or checkin commands? Are the tapes in the I/O slots or in the library sitting on slots?

If the tapes are on the I/O:

label libvol <library_name> search=bulk volr=<list_of_tapes> labels=barcode overwrite=yes checkin=scratch waitt=0
    checkin libvol <library_name> search=bulk volr=<list_of_tapes> checkl=barcode status=scratch waitt=0

If the tapes are in the library already:

label libvol <library_name> search=yes volr=<list_of_tapes> labels=barcode overwrite=yes checkin=scratch waitt=0
    checkin libvol <library_name> search=yes volr=<list_of_tapes> checkl=barcode status=scratch waitt=0

4. hogmaster

hogmaster Senior Member

Storage engineer
    If you are sure that the tapes are empty:

backup the volhist

do this for each volume
    del vol xxx

then
    then del vlohist type=all todate=today (this will only remov information about deleted volumesm/volumes not needed, not containing data)

Then run a new label libvol with overwrite option .
    label libv dlib search=yes volran=hd0500,hd0504 checkin=scratch -overwrite=yes

5. bhrobertson

bhrobertson New Member

OK, I'm now able to checkin these tapes. When I first issued the "label" command I didn't include the overwrite=yes option, and subsequently these tapes were ejected into the silo cap. Since the tape silo is at a remote site I had to call the operator to check if these tapes had ejected, and if so to reinsert them. After the tapes were reinserted I was able to successfully label/checkin the tapes with the overwrite=yes option.

Thank you Ed and hogmaster for your time and expertise.

6. hogmaster

hogmaster Senior Member

Storage engineer
    Great, Thanks for the feedback.