Cannot checkin a private volume

ldmwndletsm

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
This is 8.1 on Linux using a SCSI library.

Why is it that if I checkin a private volume (it's literally in one of the Import/Export slots, not a storage slot), the following command hangs:

checkin libvol library_name ABC123L6 status=private checklabel=barcode

I run the reply command (reported in activity log), and the process is reported (q proc), but nothing ever happens, although the activity log reports that it plans to do something, but never. Hangs interminably.

I then cancel the process (all okay), and then I rerun it as:

checkin libvol library_name search=bulk vollist=ABC123L6 status=private checklabel=barcode

And Voila! It runs promptly, without issue. I have looked over the IBM document so many times now, but there must be something patently obvious that I've overlooked. Why the heck do I need to use vollist and/or search=bulk?

If you do not specify bulk=yes, the tape will be searched in the normal library slots excluding I/O slots. But on the documentation it is specified (or at least it was).

Thanks for clarifying :). This is related, of course, to my other post, but it's nice to have it all straightened out now.

Yes, the documentation does refer to it as "entry/exit ports", but only applying to SCSI libraries. And for 'NO', they mention I/O stations, but it turns out that that's for 349X libraries, but they do mention that.

I think my misunderstanding has been with some of the terminology. In the previous non-TSM backup world that I came from there was no concept of checking a tape out of or back into the library other than to actually export it from a storage slot to an I/O slot (CAP door) or vice versa. The software either considers it nearline or not. So you're not going to keep it in a storage slot but somehow not have it available to the software (checkout with remove=no or some such equivalent) other than manually moving it using mtx or some such tool wherein the backup software wouldn't know that it was removed or deposited. Or maybe reconfiguring the jukebox not to see certain slots.

Back