Can you please advise me if it is possible to Migrate a TSM 6.2.0 physical server (IBM HS21 blade) t

Alva

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am unable to create a new Post so writing it here:
Can you please advise me if it is possible to Migrate a TSM 6.2.0 physical server (IBM HS21 blade) to Virtual server.
Can we connect the Tape drive to a ESX server which will host the VM (Tivoli server)

Thank you Marclant I was able to create a new post later. And thanks for the update on my query.
So I understand that migrating to VM is not supported.
Further to this what would be your advise on moving out of this hardware (IBM HS21 blade) to another server. How can we move to a new hardware? Can you please forward me some links related to this topic.

Many Thanks again

regards

To move to a new hardware, you are essentially doing the same thing as a DR. So you would do the exact same thing as if your data center was destroyed today and had to recover your Spectrum Protect Server elsewhere. https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_6.2.0/com.ibm.itsm.srv.doc/t_protect_srv.html

Only difference is that you won't need to restore the storage pools because you will still have your library and tapes.

Hi-level:

On original machine:
- make sure no client sessions and no processes are running to get a pristine database backup
- migrate your random disk pool to tape
- backup the database
- take a copy of these files: volume history file, device config file and dsmserv.opt
- halt the server
- turn off the machine

On the new server:
- install the same version of TSM that you had when you did the database backup
- physically connect your tape library to the new server (wiring, drivers, etc.)
- create a new instance with similar structure of old system as far as database and log directories goes, that's assuming the config was good. Now would be a good time to adjust the config to best practices if mistakes were done with the original one: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.6/perf/t_optim_config.html
- restore the database
- fix the paths for the drives, as the device names will be different

Back