Can I restore MS-SQL DB from difffull backup?

jackyzhang

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
tdpsql.cmd:

set sql_dir=C:\TDPSql\TDPSql
%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup "COL_SWITCH" DIFF /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

I don't know who set this policy for customer's production MS-SQL Server, everyday they only did a diff backup, not full backup.

I can not find any full backup for this MS-SQL db.

So can I restore the db from only difffull backup?

Last edited:
The diff plus all of the previous incrementals and diff - may fail.

The FULL is always needed by default.

Jackyzhang, I know you said you can't locate the FULL backup, but run the restore and see what it finds. Add your points in time if you need to do that. It's going to first attempt to restore the FULL so you'll know pretty quickly what it finds or doesn't.

When I executed the restore process , TSM did mount the tape volume, but failed quickly.

TDPSQL Retore GUI display:

ACO0151E Errors occurred while processing the request.

Please see the attached files.

01-restore.jpg

02-tsmsess.jpg

03-restorefail.jpg

View attachment qact.txt

Thank you for all guys.

As you thought, your FULL is gone. Question is, how did that happen? TDP SQL is not going to deactivate a FULL if there are DIFFs or LOGs that depend on it.

Set your Window to View Active and Inactive. That said, even if you're only viewing active, a FULL should be there.

Hi, Greg,

The onsite TSM engineer only did diff backup everyday.

Using this script like this:
tdpsql.cmd:

set sql_dir=C:\TDPSql\TDPSql
%sql_dir%\tdpsqlc backup "COL_SWITCH" DIFF /tsmoptfile=%sql_dir%\dsm.opt /logfile=%sql_dir%\sqlfull.log >> %sql_dir%\sqlsched.log

So there is no FULL backup at all.
But the customer still want to restore the SQL database, and I have told them that I need to confirm whether we can restore the SQL database basing on No full backup, just diff backup everyday.

Thanks.

Back