Can i backup replicated node on target server?

rpandey

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi
Source SP server is A
Target SP server is B
Server A container pool is replicated using protect storage pool to Server B
Server A replicate metadata of node X
Now Server A become unavailable. Can i continue backup operation of Node X on server B?

Hi rpandey,

If you have setup node replication to work alongside your Storage Pool protection then yes.

What will happen is (post node replication setup), the system will automatically modify the local opt file of the clients, adding the detail of the secondary (replication) ISP server so that if communication was lost between client and the Primary ISP backup server, it will switch it's backup destination to the secondary one.

NB:// You must ensure that ALL firewall rules allow access from the clients to the secondary (replication) ISP server, otherwise the failover backups will also fail. TCP/IP & PORT ####

Good idea to test before implementing.

it will switch it's backup destination to the secondary one.
Actually, only for restore, not for backups.

You would have to switch the role of the target server (DR) to no longer be a replication target. Do backups for X number of weeks, then when the original source server (PROD) is back online, make PROD the target to replicate back from DR to PROD. Once they are in sync, change roles again.

The reason I say a few weeks is that the procedure is too painful to do it for a few days.

Here's the detailed procedure: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21628618
MAKE SURE TO TEST IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT BEFORE TRYING THAT ON A PRODUCTION SYSTEM

Can you change source/target role without editing clients opt file?
Automatic failover and restore works fine.
Have made a small test to see if target can be source server for the clients, I ran into a problem client saying not able to backup due to the server is in failover mode.
The only way I can make a workaround is to edit opt file. But this is not a good option.

Back