1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

Can I add timestamps to backup messages?

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by MartyM, Nov 12, 2012.

1. MartyM

MartyM New Member

Storage Administrator
    Hello,
    When I manually run a "DSMC S" or "DSMC I" backup, the messages that I get do not include a timestamp. I use this command-line invocation on a number of clients and they pipe the output of the command to a log file in case troubleshooting needs to be done. Is there any way to make the output of these commands include a timestamp? I don't see any options for this in the manuals. Even with the default of "verbose" the messages do not contain timestamps. Thanks, all!

3. smajl

smajl Senior Member

Error/warning messages occured during processing are logged in your dsmerror.log file including timestamp.

4. MartyM

MartyM New Member

Storage Administrator
    Thank you, but I would like timestamps on the non-error messages. I'd like to know how long it is taking to back up certain files. I am trying to investigate why it is taking so long to back up some servers. I don't have any significant error or warning messages to work with.

5. CoMaboy

CoMaboy Member

Not possible with just tsm afaik but you could have another script append date/time info to the logfile at regular intervals. You won't get a timestamp for every line in the log but it would give you a decent indication of what happened when.