Can a primary storage pool with deduplication works with a copy storage pool without deduplication?

Spree

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
One of my customers currently has a primary storage pool which is a directory-container storage pool (which means it has automatic deduplication), currently it works fine, but they would want to add a copy storage pool on LTO device, which does not have deduplication, the setup is expected to be like using simultaneous write to write to 2 pools at the same time, or it can have an admin schedule to do the copy action later.

Problem is, I am not sure if this kind of setup (primary pool with deduplication + copy pool without deduplication) would work properly and as expected, like, if I am creating a copy without deduplication, would it utilize the tapes like without deduplication, or actually TSM is able to copy only the extra data to the copy pool?

Thanks.

Currently, you cannot. You can do a local protect to tape, but the copy on tape is still deduplicated. That's good for small environments, but not large ones because in a disaster, the container pool needs to be repaired from tape before clients can start to restore. Unlike a traditional copy pool that clients can restore directly from as long as the tapes are checked in.

Today, in order to have a hydrated copy on tape, you would have to replicate to a second server, and you would have to setup the 2nd server to have a primary tape pool, so the data would get re-hydrated when you replicate it to the other server.

What if I reverse the order, make the LTO be primary pool and directory container as copy? So the primary pool will be without deduplication but copy will have deduplication? Would that have problems functioning properly?

What if I reverse the order, make the LTO be primary pool and directory container as copy? So the primary pool will be without deduplication but copy will have deduplication? Would that have problems functioning properly?
Nope, container pools can only be primary pools. With today's features, 2 servers and replication is the only way you can achieve what you are looking for.

Back