BMR with WinPE - Error in ASR Restore

jimbeam128

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

we´ve implemented TSM in our Company and backup works well so far. It´s good to have backups, but it´s even better to have a working restore plan...
So I tried to follow the „bare metal restore plan“ from IBM
this one (https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Vista“)
The plan to restore from a WinPE CD sounds good so far, so I created a PE-CD with WAIK 3.1 and „Winbuilder“ to have some GUI.
I followed the article to implement TSM Client (Version used 6.4.0.6) for PE and it works well so far for command-line (That´s enough for me…) We try to restore a Windows 2003 R2 Server for testing to see if it works. The source (backup) is a file-backup from a vmware virtual machine and we try to restore to a complete new virtual machine with the same disks configured.

Connecting to TSM-Server and restore of Volumes works so far, but we have a Problem with restoring the systemstate / ASR:

We execute „restore systemstate“ and get the following response from dsmerror.log:

Code:
06/21/2013 08:46:50 ANS2080W  The value 'LVSA' for the option 'SNAPSHOTPROVIDERIMAGE' is no longer supported and will be ignored by TSM client in this release.
06/21/2013 08:46:52 ANS1577I The Windows console event handler received a 'Ctrl-C' console event.
06/21/2013 08:47:01 ANS2080W  The value 'LVSA' for the option 'SNAPSHOTPROVIDERIMAGE' is no longer supported and will be ignored by TSM client in this release.
06/21/2013 08:47:25 ANS5250E An unexpected error was encountered.
   TSM function name : InitializeForRestore()
   TSM function      : 'InitializeForRestore() failed with error code . 0X80042302'
   TSM return code   : -2147212542
   TSM file          : ..\..\common\winnt\asrutil.cpp (1536) 
06/21/2013 08:47:25 ANS1459E VSS Automated System Recovery (ASR) failed.

On the command-line I can see that some Files are restored to \\minint\x$\Windows\Temp\~adsm.sys ...

Because of the Restore of ASR fails the partitions are not restored as it should be what IBM mentions in Point 10 of the manual

"During the first part of the system state restore, ASR creates and formats critical partitions for the computer. A critical partition is the partition that is critical for the operating system to function."

I think a bare metal restore in this szenario should be possible...
I know I can do a DR-restore with VMDK-Backup, but we also would have the ability to do a bare-metal restore without installing the OS, installing the TSM-Client and then restore...

Does anyone know what´s going wrong there or has experienced the same Issue? Your help will be really appreciated

When I execute q systemstate in the "living" machine, I can see that the Systemstate is about 700 MB. But even when I execute the restore on the pe cd it takes only a few seconds and nothing is restored except of some xml-files...

OK, meanwhile I got it that on XP / 2003 ASR is not possible. But what about the systemstate?

I also tried to restore this way:

Boot in PE
Format the drives for the server
Restore the file-backup
try to restore the systemstate -> Restore of some files will be displayed.

I also backed up the MBR and restored it manually on the C:\ drive, but the server even then won´t boot, because bootmgr is missing.
And as I can see when I check the backup, all necessary files are not in the file-backup:

boot.ini
ntdetect.com
ntldr

There must be an easier way to restore the whole system from scratch

Last edited:
Back