Black Screen after restore systemstate Win srv 2016

iiXamOii

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello,

yesterday i have received a task to restore windows server 2016 systemstate, i backup Server systemstate and make a clone of that machine turn on machine on other hyper-v server and restore systemstate to it. backup restore successfylly but after restart the server is showing black screen only. can someone please help me i followed IBM https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/... Windows Server 2016 and Microsoft Windows 10 but no success.

thanks.

Did you restore just systemstate or did you restore C: as well?

Did you try more than once? You may have unintentionally skipped a step. I'd try again following the documentation step by step exactly as it's written.

For virtual machines, you would be better off with Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments (VE).

i tried both Systemstate only and C: with Systemstate restore . yes i did try more than once even everytime i follow the doc and made new winPE and fresh backup. no i never skipped any single step. even restore is successfully completed. no error or warning. when restart then machine come up with black screen and only mouse pointer.
you means to say that i should restore from TDP for Hyper-v ?

i have Spectrum Protect 8.1 with client 8.1, and backup machine is Hyper-V virtual machine (Domain Controller with Server 2016 STD ) on the same physical machine and hyper-v i created a new VM for restore.

i tried both Systemstate only and C: with Systemstate restore .
You have to do both and in the same order as in the instructions.
you means to say that i should restore from TDP for Hyper-v ?
Yes, but that will only work if you backed it up that way.

A few things come to mind:
- any excludes on the backup that might exclude critical files?
- did you create the VM the same way as the old one? Same architecture (BIOS or EFI), same number of CPU, same memory, same storage adapters, etc.
- maybe try booting in safe mode and see if you can fix what's wrong.

no exclude any file.
yes i have copy same vm and changed its name and run into different server.
with different memory (RAM) .
when i try to boot with safe mode it shows the same result. i think i am making some mistake , i have to backup from Hyper-v instead of installing client on VM machine. thanks for your support let me backup direct VM and check restore.

Back