Best way to migrate legacy VTL data to a new VTL

AjM

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We need to setup a group of new VTLs and we have to migrate data from olds VTLs to new VTLs,

VTL Replication thru HWis not an option, it has to be done with process sush as move data, move nodedata, migrate stg...

The rule to migrate data from old to new VTL is: Leave on the olds VTL information that will expire within 30 days, and just migrate or move information with more than 30 days and archives with log time retention.

What do you think is the best way to acomplish this without being disruptive, as far as possible avoid having to update copy groups, mclass, etc...

Best regards

Hi,

There are lots of ways to do this. I would do the same, and add a few settings. I am afraid you have to define new devclass/copygroup/stgpool.

Update vtlpool next=newvtlpool

Update vtlpool acc=reado hi=100 lo=99 recla=100 reclaimstg=newvtlpool (Do not bother with data moving tasks)

Then leave it for a while to allow data to be expired

Then you can either start migration or reclaim (reclaimed data will be written to new vtl)

This worked well for me when moving from lto6 to lto8 (not vtl, but concept is the same)

Hi,

There are lots of ways to do this. I would do the same, and add a few settings. I am afraid you have to define new devclass/copygroup/stgpool.

Update vtlpool next=newvtlpool

Update vtlpool acc=reado hi=100 lo=99 recla=100 reclaimstg=newvtlpool (Do not bother with data moving tasks)

Then leave it for a while to allow data to be expired

Then you can either start migration or reclaim (reclaimed data will be written to new vtl)

This worked well for me when moving from lto6 to lto8 (not vtl, but concept is the same)

Hi Trident,

Thanks for your response. What do you think about this procedure:

To send backups to new VTL...
1.-Define new VTL
2.-Update DEVCLASS with new VTL name
3.-Backup test to new VTL

To move data from legacy to new VTL...
5.-Identify volumes with last write date is more than 30 days (on the legacy VTL)
6.-Update every tape on legacy VTL to readonly state (make sure there are not scratch o filling available)
7.-Use MOVE DATA to move data on tapes from legacy VTL to new VTL
8.-Allow data to expire on legacy VTL (info with retention less than 30 days)
9.-Delete legacy VTL

In the meantime, what happens if there is a requeriment to restore/retrive data from legacy VTL, what are the steps that needs to be done in order to have both VTL (legacy and new) working for restore/retrive jobs

Best regards
AjM

Hi,

You have to define a new deviceclass. It is tied to the library name.

define libra libt=vtl
define path to libra
define paths to tapedrives
define devclass for new vtl

define stgpool newvtl
define mg to newvtl
define copygroup to new vtl

Now you can test a client backup with the new mg class as an include statement in dsm.opt/sys

Once that passes you can modify next stgpool, mig settings and so on.

Even if volumes has not been accessed past 30 days, they may still contain active data that you may need.

Back