Best practice about schedule os backup with TBMR.

jackyzhang

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Recenly we use TBMR windows and Linux.

A little confusion about schedule backup.

How can I define one schedule to backup windows or linux OS ?

We need to back up C: or D: drive, and sytemstate.

Jacky.

Backing up Windows and Unix/Linux with one schedule can always be done. This would mean that their data would be mixed. Good if you collocate by node, bad if don't as the problem would be on restores.

I suggest having different schedules and having two different domains for these.

Last edited:
Yes, I find that I can not define one schedule to back up C: D: drive and systemstate at the same time.

Backup schedules have nothing to do with what needs to be backed up. In Polling mode, the nodes contact the TSM server and the TSM servers it to start or not the backup. For Prompted mode, the TSM server contacts the node to tell it to backup.

What the node backs up to the TSM server is totally coming from the node. So you can mix the data. The only issue is restores (see my earlier reply).

Last edited:
How can I prepare the command of defining schedule about C:/D:/ drive backup and systemstate backup in one schedule command?

------command reference------
define schedule osbackup sched-dcsrv02 action=??????

sched.jpg

Because if I want to protect C drive or D drive, I can use "dsmc incremental C:\* D:\* -subdir=yes".
But if I want to back up SYSTEMState, I have to use another command: dsmc backup systemstate.

Shall I need to define two schedules? one is for C or D drive, another one is for systemstate.
If like this, it's terrible.

How can I prepare the command of defining schedule about C:/D:/ drive backup and systemstate backup in one schedule command?

------command reference------
define schedule osbackup sched-dcsrv02 action=??????

View attachment 709

Because if I want to protect C drive or D drive, I can use "dsmc incremental C:\* D:\* -subdir=yes".
But if I want to back up SYSTEMState, I have to use another command: dsmc backup systemstate.

Shall I need to define two schedules? one is for C or D drive, another one is for systemstate.
If like this, it's terrible.

If your concern is to define the schedule using the backup option, then you have to separate the Windows backup from Unix/Linux backup - in other words totally different schedules and possibly a separate domains. Otherwise, using the default of INCREMENTAL works. Just control what you want to backup from the node side.

Back