Basic Question About Management Classes

Ekaj525

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have a STGPool with multiple management classes. If I move a directory being backed up into another management class in the same STGPool through the DSM.OPT file. Are the directory and files owned by both management classes until the time and version limit is reached?

An object (file or directory) can only belong to one management class. If you specify a different management class for a certain directory and subdirs, they will get rebound to the new management class.

Actually, only the files in that directory will get rebound to the new management class. Directories will remain bound to the management class with the longest retention as always.

Instead of making a new thread. I have a stgpool where I cannot mirgate the rest of the data because I have 1.576 PCT Util, TSM is telling me I need at least 5%. My end game is to delete this stgpool and use the space for something else. Besides waiting for the data to expire or deleting it, what else can I do?

There is such a setting on storage pools called 'Reuse Delay'

Empty storage pool volumes (which use space up on disk) will hang around within the storage pool an amount of days until the reuse delay period has expired.

You can try bringing the number of days down to '0' for that particular storage pool to get rid of empty volumes/containers quicker, thus freeing up disk space.

There is such a setting on storage pools called 'Reuse Delay'

Empty storage pool volumes (which use space up on disk) will hang around within the storage pool an amount of days until the reuse delay period has expired.

You can try bringing the number of days down to '0' for that particular storage pool to get rid of empty volumes/containers quicker, thus freeing up disk space.

The delay is marked no delay.

Back