backupset

jellyfish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I have managed to create backup sets for Windows and Linux servers without a problem. Is it possible to create a backupset of a Domino data.

A Domino server is to be retired and I have done a final selective backup of all the databases and now want to store it to tape due to legal reasons we have to keep data for 7 years.

Hi,

although it may be technically possible to create such backupset, it is impossible to restore any TDP data from it. (One exception is for SQL and Exchange when your server was upgraded from TSM Express).
So the answer is NO.
Use EXPORT function or stop the Domino (it is going to be retired anyway) and back it up as a filesystem. Then use backupset.

Harry

Harry_Redl, how does that work, backup sets for SQL and Exchange data....I was under the impression that backup sets did not work for any TDP backups....any info you can give on doing this would be much appreciated!

Thanks - Mike

Hi,

in the times of TSM 5.3 there was an attempt to create a product targeted against Symantec BackupExec and other SMB backup solutions. It was Windows-only solution called TSM Express. It had simplified interface and limited functionality (backup had to go directly to disk, copies were created automatically on tapes as backupsets etc.)
For SMB market they had to provide MSSQL and Exchange backup capabilities - so they took TDP for each and modified it a bit to be able to use the backupsets for restore.

From technical point of view it was interesting - how the full TSM (which was under the hood) can be manipulated to completely different backup strategy. From the marketing point of view it was a disaster - never seen it in production and even did not hear of anybody using it.

There was an upgrade path from this solution from the full TSM - so they had to keep the possibility to recover data stored with TSM Express. So you can generate the backupset with the SQL or Exchange data (datatype=appl - see "help generate backupset") and recover it using these modified TDPs.
I do not know if these agents can be found today. It is rather difficult to find anything about TSMExpress on the IBM web - seems they try to forget as soon as possible ....

Story ends ...

Harry

Well that stinks, TDP data gets real expensive real fast when your on a capacity license for it.

Back