Backupset - Force LANFree

bpitts

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Is it possible to force a Backupset restore to use the LANFree path in Version 5.4

I used to perform ‘LANFree’ restores in version 5.2 by doing the following:

Take Library lto drive off-line (in TSM server only)
Manually mount Backupset tape in off-line drive
Start the BAClient on Node (with Storage agent software installed and configured)
Select Local Backupset option, source = tape, use logical name of LTO Library drive (\\.\tapeX)
Resotre request would read tape header, you select the underlying backupset name and target restore begins.
The restore would be extremely fast !!!!!

Now running on Version 5.4 (Server and Storage Agent matched) and I can no longer get the Node to read the tapes in the Drive, all I get after 5-10 minutes of inactivity is ‘Unable to access media’. Is this a feature of 5.4 or is there an alternative method I should be using.

Any help would be appreciated as I’m now lacking in functionality that I thought would improve due to upgrade, not disappear / fail. My only alternative is to restore via TSM/LAN path, which is mind-numbingly slow

Host O/S for both Client and Server is Win 2003 Stnd

Last edited:
TSM is suppose to be backwards compatible so I would think it should work the same as it did with 5.2. Did you call IBM support about the problem? The only thing I can think of is that the 5.4 client is having issue with the hardware. When perfroming the restore you should be using the location=tape option. The tape will have to be manually mounted in the tape drive and there should be no need for the Storage Agent since TSM can't use it to restore BACKUPSETS (at least from what I have read). If you are trying to restore it through the TSM server then it will only use the LAN.

Hello

That should still work.

The syntax of the restore backupset commad changed at some point though, not got a manual to hand so i'm not sure when. I recon it's that.

Thanks

Steven

Back