Backups going to Tape rather than disk

ja954

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
www.partners.org
I have some backups going right to tape eventhough disk pool is there, active and empty. No INCLUDE statements tying files to MC's are present and storage pools point to disk. I'm a TSM newbie. :confused: [email protected]

How big is the files?, and what is your Maximum size threshold set for?

if the thresh hold is set for 100MB, every file above that size will go directly to the next pool in the chain,

Hmmm, so the "Destination" in your standard MC for Backup copy group is set to the "diskpool"? and the diskpool have allocated disk volumes?

What OS is the TSM server?

Are there any Migration going on , what is the high% and low%

of the diskpool

If all things fail, you might consider the following. Remember in TSM that files and directories are treated slightly differently. Files are bound to the management (either the default in the active policy set or via "include <mc>" type statement in the include/exclude list. Directories however are bound to the management class (when doing backups) with the longest retentions. So, if you have a management class (in a particular active policy set) that has the longest retention and goes directory to tape, then youwill notice that your supposed backups to disk will first send the directories to tape and then do backups of the files to disk storage pool.

Yes a tricky one to understand sometimes. To solve this problem you must explicitly use the "dirmc" in either your client option file or via a client option set (on the tsm server) to force the directories to use the same management class as the files.

Hopefully, this isn't the problem you are having. Hopefully it's something a bit more simple.

enjoy

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>I have some backups going right to tape eventhough disk pool is there, active and empty. No INCLUDE statements tying files to MC's are present and storage pools point to disk. I'm a TSM newbie. :confused: [email protected]</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Back