1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

backup when permission changes

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by afrankel, Nov 23, 2012.

1. afrankel

afrankel New Member

If a permission changes on an existing file, will the content of the file will be backed up again? Not sure if it matters, but the filesystem is GPFS.

Thanks,

Andras

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  3. LED888

LED888 Moderator

From the TSM Client manual -
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...t.doc/ans50000113.htm?path=1_1_2_7_3_0#unfull

Back up files whose contents changed since the last backup. The client considers a file changed if any of the following attributes changed since the last backup:
    File size
    Date or time of last modification
    Access Control List
    If only the following items change, they are updated without causing the entire file to be backed up to the server:
    File owner
    File permissions
    Last access time
    Inode
    Group ID

Good Luck,
    Sias

admin and afrankel like this.
  4. chad_small

chad_small Moderator

AIX/SAN/TSM
    Interesting question:

One Friday way back in early 2001-2002 we had a user CHMOD all the files and folders in the home directory. We were alerted to the problem Monday (after 3 nights of backups had run) and proceeded to restore the home directory. TSM does not just change the permissions, it has to restore the files...the problem was that none of the files were backed up again. Back in the day (and I think they changed TSM's behavior) when UNIX permissions changed TSM would only update the permission settings in the TSM DB for the file. So restoring the files did us no good since their were no previous versions on many of the files that had the old permission settings. I never did go back and check to see if they changed the behavior. I'm pretty sure they did, but back then it was not how TSM worked.

5. afrankel

afrankel New Member

Chad,

I would rather backup metadata separately and let TSM backup the data only.

What hurts us is that our users do a lot of setfacl recursive on their directories. Does anybody know if TSM behaves this way (backup up ACLs) if GPFS uses NFSv4 ACLs only?

Thanks,

Andras

6. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    As I recall (current behaviour from version 4.2 and up (not 100% sure)), TSM updates its metadata and when a restore is needed, TSM applies this updated information to the restored data.