backup stgpool weirdness

spiffy

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

hey all

I am running TSM 5.4.2 on a windows 2003 box, and am seeing some odd things happening with backup stgpool processes

When running a backup stgpool of my tapepool to copypool, the process will sit and wait for access to a tape that is being used by any other process, or it thinks the tape is in use by another process, even though the tape isnt.

When this happens, i check Q mo to make sure the tape is not actually loaded and in use, i check to make sure that the tape is not set to unavailable or for some reason offsite even though our tapes do not get taken offsite, i do the Q REQ to ensure there are no requests(shouldnt be as the tapes are not unloaded out of the library) and just generally check to make sure that tape is there and good to go

i am not sure what is going on, and i havent found any apars on this issue.

It only seems to happen with backupstg pool, and it is irregular when it happens

One thing I am seeing is that the tape the backup stg pool process wants was in use by another process earlier, in my case it usually is a migration from disk to tape, but once that process is done with the tape, shouldnt the backup stg pool process see the tape as available now and use it?

it almost seems like the tape is not being closed out properly or something by the previous process using it, and the backup stgpool process thinks it is still in use, even though it isnt.

One thing, when i do a Q MO, i can see that one of the drives is waiting for the tape to be mounted, i think the message is device in devclass is reserved or something like that.

any ideas?

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

I have seen something similar to this where the data being backed up spans two tapes so it holds one of the tapes back even though it's not actually in use at that moment in time.It might be worth checking the contents of the tape that's in use during the backup process and the one that's not in use to see if the data spans two tapes?

Last edited: