Backup/Restore and encryption

rore

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I read several posts and IBM tech notes but I cannot find a clear insigth:

TSM server and clients v5.4.

What happens when you enable B/A client encryption for subsequent backups and restores?

New file versions will be backed up encrypted. If you need to restore previous non-encrypted versions the encryption statement in the option file has to be removed? OR this will be transparent?

How about TDP products that uses "transparent encryption"?

How about Windows HSM archived files? New archives will be encrypted, old no. HSM recall will be transparent?

I know that tape compression will be lost.

It seems that encryption is becoming a must in several environments.

Regards,
Rudy

TSM will not go back and encrypt previous backups. Encryption only applies to new backups. TSM will restore files that are not encrypted even when the encryption settings are in place on the client.

I am not sure about the TDP or HSM questions since both of them use the API and not the B/A client.

-Aaron

Aaron, thank you for your responses.

TSM will not go back and encrypt previous backups. Encryption only applies to new backups.

Yes, that is basically what I already said:

New file versions will be backed up encrypted. If you need to restore previous non-encrypted versions the encryption....

TSM will restore files that are not encrypted even when the encryption settings are in place on the client.

Is there any doc to support that? or you know by experience?

I am not sure about the TDP or HSM questions since both of them use the API and not the B/A client.

Yes they use the API and what is called a 'transparent encryption'.

Rudy

I do not have an IBM document that states that but from experience it works that way. It is also very simple to test with a test node in TSM.

-Aaron

Back