Backup of Tivoli database to a fileserver

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcrisostomo

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi, I'm with an issue with my backup from Tivoli DB: Actually my backup DB is performed on tapes DAT DDS4. But I want that my DB backup is performed on a storage, instead of the driver (The company is going to be on collective vacation and there will be nobody to put the tapes on the drive). Reading along, I found out that I point the destination of my backup, on the option "devclass", so I want to know the following things:

*Note: this is my script: BACKUP DB TYPE=FULL DEVCLASS=DEV-DDS WAIT=YES

1- I must create a new device, where I'm going to send my backup, right? How do I proceed to create this devclass as a File and point it to a folder on another server?
(For example: My backup server is the srv-tivoli and I want to make the backup on the storage.

2- Do I need to create an extra storage pool or library name? (Please see the command below)

I saw the following command:

define devclass <device_class_name> library=<lib name> devtype=file format=drive

Edit: I want to backup Tivoli database to a storage, not to a fileserver.

Thanks. This forum has been very useful for me. I'm still a rookie on TSM, but already have lots of things I must fix on it, because the old administrator was fired and now I have nobody to help me with it.

Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Thank Tariq. One last question, I'm trying to create a devclass on a network shared folder. But, I get the following error:

ANR8971E Unable to validate directory name B:\DEVBKP01 for DEFINE DEVCLASS command
ANR8366E DEFINE DEVCLASS: Invalid value for DIRECTORY parameter.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

The right path is \\192.168.0.38\e$ and I mapped it on my server to B:
The user I'm logged on TSM Server is the local administrator.

Thanks a lot.

Thank you Tariq. Worked just fine.
Could you tell me where can I study about backup at all? Not only about a solution like TSM, but the best practices, how to implement, etc..

I am only a TSM guy, so I rely on IBM docs, this forum and Google.

Trust me, I find last two are more helpful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back