1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

backup of a qnap nas drive

Discussion in 'TSM Client' started by wesd, Nov 14, 2012.

1. wesd

wesd New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    I have a set of users who save their data on a qnap ts-259 pro+ nas drive. They all use apple workstations so the drives on the nas are all formatted with an ext4 file system.

Is there any way to back this up using a tsm client?

The qnap itself uses a version on linux (it MIGHT be debian) - cat /etc/issue shows "Welcome to QNAP Systems Inc,. NasX86() development environment." while uname -r shows a kernel version of - but I doubt if I can just install a tsm linux client on it and expect it to work.

If I map the users share to a windows server - ie give it a drive letter using \\ip.address\sharename I can see all their folders and files so, presumably, I can use the windows client on this server but will will that work ok as the files themselves have been created by an apple server or is there a risk of corrupting the files?

Any help would be appreciated as this is completely new territory for me.
  3. chad_small

chad_small Moderator

Dec 17, 2002
    Try backing up the data as a Windows share then restoring some files to see if it will work, but you would be better off backing it up through Mac OS or a Linux VM.