backup node schedule?

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hi Pro's

I would like to create a schedule or script that start all my NDMP jobs one after each other.
I have around sixty jobs to start and I have six drives but only want four of the drives to be used at the same time (due I need the other two to be able to run restore and other backup jobs)

Is it possible to always have four jobs running? ex.. if four jobs are running and one of the job gets finished I would like an other job to start?
And is it possible to get some mail notification when any of my backups process finish?

My jobs I run looks like this:

backup node filer.company.com /company_vol0 mgmtclass=company_10_years toc=yes mode=full
backup node filer.company.com /company_vol1 mgmtclass=company_10_years toc=yes mode=full
backup node filer.company.com /company_vol2 mgmtclass=company_10_years toc=yes mode=full
backup node filer.company.com /company_vol3 mgmtclass=company_10_years toc=yes mode=full
etc...
(I have sixty of these jobs)

PREDATAR Control23

1. Group the sixty jobs into 4 groups
2. Create 4 backup scripts
3. The backup script will contain: "backup node <node_name> <file_system_name> TOC=<options> wait=yes mode=<FULL_or_DIFF>" for each and every NAS to backup (see 'HELP BACKUP NODE')
4. Put the four scripts into a schedule

Note: The option WAIT=YES is very important as this puts TSM in a sequential backup mode, i.e., waits for the current job to finish before proceeding to the next.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks!

Do you also know how to get some notification when any of the processes ends?
(today I always write down the process-id when the job starts and then checks the actlog for the output if the process ended with SUCCESS or FAILED...)

Would love to get an email or get some output to a file where I can see all the output.

PREDATAR Control23

You can write a script that searches for the ANR code and the NAS name (volume name) to signify access or failed. The result is then e-mailed to your account.

Alternatively, use TSM Operational Reporting or the newer Tivoli variant.

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks. What newer TSM version has some good reporting/emailing function build in? I have version 6.2.4.

PREDATAR Control23

Here, we are using shell scripts that for various checks that can optionally send emails. It is not complicated if on UNIX-like OS....