Backup Deletion Best Practice

Swagat

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All ,

I intend to delete few DB2 backups from the server . Below is the process i am following .

upload_2017-8-8_11-32-34.png

Is this the correct process I am following ? Will it free up space in my stgpool ? ( Only 1 stgpool is there , there is no copy pool . I have to either add space to it or delete unnecessary backups to keep it in check )

If the backups are not necessary, why backup in the first place?

Yes, you can delete these to get space back. However, if the primary pool is a sequential device, a reclaim process will have to be run.

Last edited:
You should really be deleting the backups from the client end if you want to keep any of the backups. Doing it by deleting the filespace on the TSM server will delete all the backups.
To list all the backups held for DB2, logon to the DB2 as the DB2 database owner and run:

Code:
db2adutl query full

This should give you a list of all the backups held. From there you can use db2adutl to delete older ones.

An automated way of dealing with older DB2 backups would be to adjust the retention times for the management classes used.

Thank you guys for the response .
@moon-buddy I have to delete this because the same path /BBT is being backed up from another server .
@DazRaz The DB2 admins have agreed that these backups shouldn't be there under this particular node (see screen shot above) and I can delete everything under /BBT for that node . 'Delete fi' will just do that isn't it ?

Thank you guys for the response .
@DazRaz The DB2 admins have agreed that these backups shouldn't be there under this particular node (see screen shot above) and I can delete everything under /BBT for that node . 'Delete fi' will just do that isn't it ?

Yes - deleting by specific filespace name just deletes that filespace.

Back