1. Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to maintain high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers.
    They support this free information and knowledge exchange forum service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions

Backup Deletion Best Practice

Discussion in 'Others' started by Swagat, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Swagat

Swagat ADSM.ORG Member

Hi All ,

I intend to delete few DB2 backups from the server . Below is the process i am following .

upload_2017-8-8_11-32-34.png

Is this the correct process I am following ? Will it free up space in my stgpool ? ( Only 1 stgpool is there , there is no copy pool . I have to either add space to it or delete unnecessary backups to keep it in check )

3. moon-buddy

moon-buddy ADSM.ORG Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    If the backups are not necessary, why backup in the first place?

Yes, you can delete these to get space back. However, if the primary pool is a sequential device, a reclaim process will have to be run.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  4. DazRaz

DazRaz ADSM.ORG Senior Member

You should really be deleting the backups from the client end if you want to keep any of the backups. Doing it by deleting the filespace on the TSM server will delete all the backups.
    To list all the backups held for DB2, logon to the DB2 as the DB2 database owner and run:

Code:
    db2adutl query full
    This should give you a list of all the backups held. From there you can use db2adutl to delete older ones.

An automated way of dealing with older DB2 backups would be to adjust the retention times for the management classes used.

5. Swagat

Swagat ADSM.ORG Member

Thank you guys for the response .
    @moon-buddy I have to delete this because the same path /BBT is being backed up from another server .
    @DazRaz The DB2 admins have agreed that these backups shouldn't be there under this particular node (see screen shot above) and I can delete everything under /BBT for that node . 'Delete fi' will just do that isn't it ?

6. moon-buddy

moon-buddy ADSM.ORG Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    Yes - deleting by specific filespace name just deletes that filespace.