Backing up stub files

tsmadm

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Does anyone know why a backup of a HSM managed filesystem would need to recall every file? I have ensured that the management class does not reqiure migrated files to be backed up.

In the book, it states that migrated files do not need to be recalled when the backup runs.

Any help is appreciated.

:confused: What HSM product are you using?? If it's Legato DiskXtender, there's an option to backup the complete file or just backup the stub. Backing up only the stub will keep it from retrieving all the archived files. There's also an option for "pass-thru" retrieves that doesn't write the HSM'd file back to local disk.

I have a Diskextender setup with 70 million files. I am having Tons of issues dealing with this data. If it wasn't for TSM I wouldn't have anything. I have DX purging files older than 600 days. I have the entire DX drive pushed over to a TSM diskpool then I migrate it to my tapepool when it reachs 80% of the diskpool and then I make a copypool copy of everthing. But DX hasn't moved all the files to TSM yet its been taking about a 1 GB a day.

So as you can imagine my schedules get messed up because DX hasn't finished. so my migrations never finish. Nor do my Copypools.

I did have the "require migrated files to be backed up" set. But I just changed that, cause I can see now that would cause problems for me.

I also use TSM to backup that servers dx drive as well. Do I really need to backup this drive? Is this where I tell it to only backup the Stubs? Where is this stub file setting?

What is the best way to work with this setup.

Back