Backing up partitions to different StgPools

Ekaj525

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am a amateur when it comes to Spectrum Protect. I have taken IBM's advanced class online but I am still unsure of things. I have searched for this question on the forum but I may have been using incorrect terminology.

I have a server that is going to be added as a node. The server will have two partitions one will be needed for recovering the machine (c:) in case of disaster or general screw up and a log partition (d:) they want to keep but is not needed for immediate recovery. Is it possible to send c: to a disk StgPool and d: to a tape StgPool?

Thank you in advance.

It is possible. But, this is not preferred scenario. It is not easy to do disaster recovery of the server by just restoring files to C: partition - it probably will not work.
If it is virtual server, your best bet is to do VM backup. Otherwise, check little bit about SYSTEM STATE backup and restore (which, by the way, becomes increasingly complicated recently, with new versions of ISP client)

You can, you do that by sending different filespaces to different management classes. You do that with the INCLUDE option:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.4/client/r_opt_include.html

By default, your backups will go to the default management class, so you just need to modify the others. I'll assume your default already goes to disk, so you just need to change D: to go to tape. It would look similar to:
include.fs d: {the name of the management class going to tape}

It is possible. But, this is not preferred scenario. It is not easy to do disaster recovery of the server by just restoring files to C: partition - it probably will not work.
If it is virtual server, your best bet is to do VM backup. Otherwise, check little bit about SYSTEM STATE backup and restore (which, by the way, becomes increasingly complicated recently, with new versions of ISP client)

Just a little back ground. I was recently hired for this position, I am the primary, and trying to catch up on this system. The administration of this system is broken up into pieces, I do not have access or control over the clients, opt files, sys files or client gui.
We back up currently using the system state method. The point of what I am trying to do is save stg space. We are limited as is, so if i could send these log files to tape that would help, they don't need multiple versions like the standard backups do.

You can, you do that by sending different filespaces to different management classes. You do that with the INCLUDE option:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSEQVQ_8.1.4/client/r_opt_include.html

By default, your backups will go to the default management class, so you just need to modify the others. I'll assume your default already goes to disk, so you just need to change D: to go to tape. It would look similar to:
include.fs d: {the name of the management class going to tape}

Thank you for the link.

Back