1. Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING) Click the link to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This message will disappear after you have made at least 12 posts. Thank you for your cooperation.

backing up data with different rules

Discussion in 'Backup / Archive Discussion' started by nahmad, Oct 21, 2012.

1. nahmad

nahmad New Member

TSM Administrator
    Hi There

I have an existing INCREMENTAL monthly backup retained for 1 year but now requirement is to backup one drive out of this node for 7 years. I am looking for a better option. What I know is, it could be 1) using a new mgmtclass/copygroup type=archive for 7 years and attach to the drive by INCLUDE coamamd in the dsm.opt file to it or 2) use a new node and scheduler for 7 years.

If you think option one is better/easy then question is, should it work as main backup is incremental and one drive is archive ?

What about if I define new mgmtclass/copygroup type=backup for 7 years and mode=absolute ?

Thanks in advance

Nahmad

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  3. opermty

opermty Senior Member

Ingeniero de Soporte
    I think be more easy if create a new domain and register a new node_name for the server

4. moon-buddy

moon-buddy Moderator

Electronics Engineer, Security Professional
    Either one will work.

The only CON for the first option is that you would have to remember that one drive is on a special management class than the rest. I have done this a lot of times and pretty straightforward. On restores, I don't have to fiddle with different node names.

If you use option 2, just remember to exclude the long term drive from the original node and the rest of the drives from the new node. One CON which I mentioned above is the need to determine which node name to use for restoring the long term drive backup.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  5. chad_small

chad_small Moderator

AIX/SAN/TSM
    Create a new node that is called NODENAME_DRIVE_7YR and then define it to the 7 year domain. Make sure it's dsm.opt domain statement lists only the drive needing the 7 year retention and then schedule a monthly backup.