backing up data with different rules

nahmad

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi There

I have an existing INCREMENTAL monthly backup retained for 1 year but now requirement is to backup one drive out of this node for 7 years. I am looking for a better option. What I know is, it could be 1) using a new mgmtclass/copygroup type=archive for 7 years and attach to the drive by INCLUDE coamamd in the dsm.opt file to it or 2) use a new node and scheduler for 7 years.

If you think option one is better/easy then question is, should it work as main backup is incremental and one drive is archive ?

What about if I define new mgmtclass/copygroup type=backup for 7 years and mode=absolute ?

Thanks in advance

Nahmad

Last edited:
Hi There

I have an existing INCREMENTAL monthly backup retained for 1 year but now requirement is to backup one drive out of this node for 7 years. I am looking for a better option. What I know is, it could be 1) using a new mgmtclass/copygroup type=archive for 7 years and attach to the drive by INCLUDE coamamd in the dsm.opt file to it or 2) use a new node and scheduler for 7 years.

If you think option one is better/easy then question is, should it work as main backup is incremental and one drive is archive ?

What about if I define new mgmtclass/copygroup type=backup for 7 years and mode=absolute ?

Thanks in advance

Nahmad

Either one will work.

The only CON for the first option is that you would have to remember that one drive is on a special management class than the rest. I have done this a lot of times and pretty straightforward. On restores, I don't have to fiddle with different node names.

If you use option 2, just remember to exclude the long term drive from the original node and the rest of the drives from the new node. One CON which I mentioned above is the need to determine which node name to use for restoring the long term drive backup.

Last edited:
Create a new node that is called NODENAME_DRIVE_7YR and then define it to the 7 year domain. Make sure it's dsm.opt domain statement lists only the drive needing the 7 year retention and then schedule a monthly backup.

Back