BA client does not backup changed files

combato

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi Pro's

I have a very strange situation with one of my solaris nodes.
A file located under /var/adm/dir/file.log is changed every day but the TSM BA client does not backup the file. I can't understand why... I have no exclude for anything under /var and it's a local filesystem. If I check my log files TSMsched.log and TSMbackup.log I can't see any record or output of the file I'm looking for.

When I type 'q back /var/adm/dir/file.log -subdir=yes -inactive' I get "ANS1092W No files matching search criteria were found"

Can't understand why this file (and other local dir and files) doesn't get backed up.
Anyone that have any thoughts or ideas how to resolve this?

/C

Hello,

The first step would be to do an audit during the backup of that directory:

Code:
dsmc inc /var/adm/dir/file.log/* -auditlogging=full -auditlogname=backupaudit.log

The output will look similar to this, for every file, in that directory, it will tell you how the client is processing it and why:

Code:
09/17/2021 08:02:18 IBM Spectrum Protect Backup-Archive Client Version 8, Release 1, Level 8.0
09/17/2021 08:02:25 ANS1650I Command: i c:\test\*
09/17/2021 08:02:28 ANS1661I Unchanged: \\client1\c$\test
09/17/2021 08:02:28 ANS1660I Excluded: \\client1\c$\test\logs.zip
09/17/2021 08:02:30 ANS1651I Backed Up: \\client1\c$\test\changed.txt
09/17/2021 08:02:28 ANS1661I Unchanged: \\client1\c$\test\test1.txt

• Unchanged files are skipped
  • Excluded files are skipped
  • Backed Up files are those that are included, changed and backed up
Once you know in which if the 3 categories that falls in, then you can investigate in that direction. It is likely excluded if it has never been backed up before. If that's the case, you can look at dsmc query inclexcl to figure out which exclude statement. Excludes can come from 4 sources:
  • dsm.opt/dsm.sys
  • Spectrum Protect
  • Operating System
  • Server (via a client option set)
Here's a sample output that let's you know the source:
Code:
*** FILE INCLUDE/EXCLUDE ***
Mode Function  Pattern (match from top down)  Source File
---- --------- ------------------------------ -----------------
Excl Directory *\...\.TsmCacheDir             IBM Spectrum Protect
Excl Directory c:\WINDOWS\system32\microsoft\protect Operating System
Exclude All       *\...\*.mp3                    Server
Exclude Archive   *\dsmthreshmig.bin             Operating System
Exclude All       *\...\*.zip                    dsm.opt
Include All       c:\test?\...\*                 dsm.opt
Look in there for a pattern that matches the files or directory. On the right hand side, you can see the source of the exclude. Alternatively, if you have access to the GUI client for that node, start it, click on Backup, expand the directory tree and find one of the files you want to backup. If it's excluded, it will have a red DO NOT symbol on it. You can right client on that file and look at the Exclude pattern.

Also, does your backup schedule backup everything or certain objects. You can tell by looking at the Objects field of the schedule in the TSMsched.log.

Back